Saturday, December 24, 2016

My Bible

Romans 8:15

This is the verse that prompted the very last sermon my dad ever preached. He was in the hospital, so weak and sick. Yet there he preached this sermon, directly from his bed, with family and church members crowded around. 

 

My Bible is full of other memories like this one. Memories of sermons and messages that impacted my life in one way or another...

It's also full of different momentos that have touched my heart along the way too. Ones like the card below, mailed to me in Dakar by my mom... 

Ironically enough (see the words on the card), it arrived on the day I held my meeting with our school's director, where he said my dream of the new Special Ed class was finally coming true :)

 

As I flipped through my Bible the other day, I paid closer attention to each highlighted portion, each note, each lesson learned...

 

Special verses which have stuck in my mind throughout the years...

 

Notes from sermons I knew I didn't want to forget...

 

Connections made between text written all those years ago and the life God has called me to today...

 

Margins outlined with notes and ideas, highlighting lessons inspired from above...

 

Handwritten notes, copied from a message heard at just the right time...

 

Passages that point toward a future full of hope and anticipation...

 

Post-it notes containing reminders for a life well-lived...

 

Reminders of how God kept His promises over and over again...

 

Words shared from men and women, inspired by God above, and etched into my heart and mind for years to come...

 

Notes written out to help in memorizing the truth sent from above...

 

Handwritten notes, jotted down before speaking the words God, Himself, placed on my heart...

 

Reminders to always dream big...

 

Visions and words shared by others...

 

Verses highlighted and noted and shared over and over again...

 

Lessons learned...

 

Notes of songs and verses, reminders to just BE STILL and listen to what God has for me...

 

Questions asked and thoughts provoked...

 

Passages that provide guidance and commands to do the work God called me to do...

 

I'm thankful for this precious book and the gifts it contains... I'm thankful for every handwritten word, highlighted passage, sermon note, momento, and more. I'm thankful for every lesson learned and memory solidified. 

I'm thankful my parents saw fit to raise me with this book as a central part of my life. I'm thankful it's never lost its appeal and that it's still one of my most favorite books to read and study.

It's a truly amazing book!

It's definitely a blessing!

It's my Bible!

No comments:

Post a Comment