Thursday, August 10, 2017

Back to School Ready

Happy Thursday Y'all!

I've been working a lot this summer, gearing up for school starting back. But I officially start back tomorrow with our first day of All Staff Orientation.

Want to see the room I'll call my second home this school year? I will probably spend as much time, if not more, here as I will at home :)

If you remember from way back in November, I shared about a dream God laid on my heart for this class. In that post (which you can read HERE), I shared that I'd be starting almost completely from scratch. This was my empty room around that time...


As time went on, I answered questions about this new class in a few Q&A posts.


And now... 

Now it's like a completely different room.

See? :)


So let's get on with the tour.

I bought this nameplate off amazon from HERE. It was super inexpensive, super cute, and has that signature puzzle piece addition. 



My furniture is perfect. I love how my desks fit together so well. And look at that kidney table! It's HUGE! And it's perfect for working with the crew I'll have this year. I LOVE it!! 


Next up is my THINKING STATION. At a workshop this summer, a presenter reminded us how some kids like mine need more time to think than others. So she recommended giving students space (and time) to do so. So I had this idea and ran with it. In this cabinet, there are various types of paper, whiteboards, writing/art utensils, manipulatives, etc. 

My goal is for students to use this area to help in the brainstorming stage of writing, working through more difficult math assignments, take a learning break if overworked, etc. 


The next step over is my desk and work area. I'm setting a goal for myself to actually keep it neat and organized all year. We'll see :)


There's our pineapple reminders on that back wall.



I bought that large IKEA shelving piece from the family of one of my former students. It's huge and it's perfect for all of my books, standards and students' data binders, and all the students' learning materials too. And I can display gifts from students on top too :)

You can also see a bit more storage in the background, along with my teal-ish rolling cart too. I got both of these from a friend who was leaving the country. They will definitely be put to good use this school year. I'm sure of it.


Over in the alcove is more storage, which contains the chromebooks and iPads people so generously helped me purchase for this class. In the mesh bag is a bunch of balls and other "active" equipment in case I end up having kids who won't go to the typical PE class. In the filing cabinet, is the music equipment/items for the same reason - in case they don't go to the typical music class. On the wall are my Speech/phonics posters. We'll be able to offer students who need it, a tele-Therapy Speech option with someone in the States. And then I'll be able to do the follow up on the days they don't have therapy. So I thought I'd have a separate section of the room set aside for that.


At first, I couldn't figure out how to store our headphones and earbuds well. But then a friend was selling this scarf hanger and I had an idea. Since students will be primarily using the chromebooks/iPads at this table, I'll hang the headphones from this scarf holder. 


On the next wall are my kids' bookshelves. These shelves hold their books. Between these books, and the ones we'll get on the ipad(s), we've got all sorts of fun reading planned for this year. And look at the fun seats/cushions we have too :)

  

Here are my favorite books... our Bibles :) 


And here's our Worry Eater. You write your worries on a piece of paper, put them in his mouth and zip it up. He eats your worries and they "magically" disappear at the end of the day. And yes, I know it's silly. But seriously... How fun is this? :)


I love this hanging storage piece. It's bright and colorful and perfect for storing random supplies.


I have my word wall, ready to add all the new vocabulary words we'll learn this year.




There's our class clock.



Class Rules/Rewards/Consequences


And then other random decor that livens/brightens up the room.

Things like our Biblical Character Traits, which will be our first unit in Bible. 



There's this awesomeness :)


There's a basket of animal puppets on storage trunks, covered with fabric that will be transformed into a puppet show stage. 


And there are little inspirational quotes here and there too. I'm a big fan of bringing in quotes to inspire both my students and myself.

 



And as I sit at my desk, overlooking my room, I can't help but smile (and maybe even get a little teary eyed) thinking about how God has orchestrated everything to fall into place for this class to happen this year. To say I'm humbled and grateful is a huge understatement.

No comments:

Post a Comment