Tuesday, April 25, 2017

New Special Ed. Class Q & A #3

Image result for q & a icon

Back in November, I shared about a dream of mine that had recently come true. If you missed that post, you can click HERE to check it out. 

The super short version of that post is... God gave me a dream to create a class at my school for students with special needs, deemed so "severe" that they are unable to function 100% of the time in the "regular" (general ed.) classroom. 

Anywho - About a month later, I wrote another post in which I answered a few questions (which you can read about HERE) about the class. Then last month, I wrote another Q & A style post (which you can read about HERE) about the class. 

And then I had big plans to wait 'til June to do another Q & A post. But after traveling to the States last month, sharing my heart for this class, I realized there are more than enough questions to answer now and still have some left over for June too.

How many students will you have?

As of now I'll have 4 students. Although, at the rate things are going, it's possible that this number may change before school starts in August. So who knows? :)

Can we see your classroom?

You can see the BEFORE picture. The AFTER won't be ready 'til August. But you can be sure that I'll post all sorts of fun pictures when everything's ready.



Anywho... By this summer, the piano, tables and chairs, and other random supplies being stored in there will be gone and this empty room will be filled with all sorts of goodness to make this empty space an awesome Special Ed classroom. I can't wait!
How can we donate?

Click HERE and follow the prompts to donate to my AGWM account. Or if you'd prefer to send a donation via check through the mail, email me at enichols85@gmail.com and I'll tell you how to do that. All donations made this way are tax deductible, by the way. 

If you'd prefer to send actual supplies, email me and I'll get you a list of what I still need/want to buy for the class, so you can help with that.

What made you want to teach Special Education?

I remember seeing kids with special needs in school. I remember seeing how they were treated (both good and bad). I had relatives receiving Special Ed. services too. So I saw what they went through. Then I remember, just as if it were yesterday, sitting in my Intro to Education course and thinking... This is what I want to do. So I went and changed my major because by doing so, I'd be qualified to teach Elementary Education and Special Education. And you know what? I have never once regretted that decision!

You're just teaching, though. How is that considered missions?

Ironically enough, I hear this question quite often. Missions is not a one-size-fits-all kind of job. Every single missionary is not out there standing behind a pulpit or building churches deep in the bush somewhere. Missionaries are also providing medical care, translating the Bible, digging wells, helping widows start their own businesses, running English centers, managing store-front businesses, and yes...even teaching Special Education to an amazing group of kids in Dakar, Senegal :) 

Honestly, I understand the confusion. I, too, used to think that missionaries only did one thing. But then my eyes were open to how broad the definition of missionary can be. Yes, it's someone who's promoting the Kingdom of God. That's true no matter what. But how they go about doing that is different from person to person from country to country.

Are you ever going to leave Senegal and come back to the States to teach?

If God tells me to, I will. 

But until then, I'll be here in Dakar doing what I love - and more importantly, what God has called me to do. I love teaching at Dakar Academy and honestly, can't imagine leaving. But y'all... I'm here because God said to come here (and stay here). 
Will you be back in the States this summer?

Yep! I'll be in the States for part of the summer. I'm planning to stay a couple weeks after school gets out to set up my new classroom. Then as of now, the plan is for me to head back toward the middle of June and stay 'til the 1st of August.

But weren't you just there. Why go back? 

I'll be traveling around Alabama (and beyond if I'm invited), speaking, and doing a bit more fundraising. Also, I'll be able to bring back the rest of the supplies I purchased for the new class, but wasn't able to bring back with me at the end of Spring Break.

What do you wish more people knew about students with special needs?

These kids need the same as any other kids... They need to be loved. They need to be accepted. They need to be appreciated and valued. They need to be taught. Sure, they may act/walk/learn/hear/see/communicate/whatever differently than others. But they're human beings - just like you and I. 

What are the most amazing AND the most difficult parts of teaching Special Education?

One of the most difficult parts is dealing with naysayers which, unfortunately, happens ALL. THE. TIME. Other difficult parts include all the paperwork (especially in the States). It sometimes seems like it's unending. It's difficult dealing with uncooperative general ed. teachers and administrators, who don't really understand Special Education. But the absolute most difficult part is watching your kids struggle. Unfortunately, many of our kids struggle a LOT, which is so very painful to see. But that's why Special Education exists. We exist to give these kids the help they need to succeed.

But I must say... The amazing parts definitely outweigh the difficult parts. You get to teach amazing students. ...all the while, you get to prove society wrong because you're showing society all the amazing things your kids CAN/are ABLE to do. You get to see "lightbulb" moments more often than general ed. teachers. You get to see change/growth more often as well, because there are a zillion little things you're measuring. Yes, it's a hard job at times. But it is so incredibly worth it. 

How can we be praying for your new class?

Help me pray for all the details that still need to fall into place before school starts in August. Help me pray for wisdom and guidance in planning for teaching this class. Help me pray that I'll be able to buy the last of the technology, books, and other supplies I need for this class (things I hadn't orginally planned on, but have realized are necessary as time's gone on). Help me pray that I serve the students I'll have next year (and beyond) to the best of my ability. And last, but most certainly not least, help me pray that God would use this class as a tool to further show His love to those around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment