Monday, May 8, 2017

Coffee/Tea Date

It's the second Monday of the month. That means it's time for my monthly Coffee Date post. As always, I'm joining Erin for her fun link-up, and I'm sipping on a cup of tea and pretending I'm on a coffee (well, tea) date with a friend, baring my soul and chatting about just about anything and everything. 


So grab a cup of tea and join me.

If we were on a coffee/tea date, I'd assume we were close, so I could be totally honest with you. I'd think I'd feel free enough to share my heart with you. Some say one shouldn't bare their soul this much. But this is my blog coffee/tea date, so...

There's been something on my mind a lot recently. I'd assume it's because Mother's Day is next weekend. A day when we honor all of the moms in our lives... Churches recognize the moms in attendance. Schools help students make cute artwork and crafts for their moms. People go shopping for gifts for their moms.

And I'm no different. First, and foremost, I definitely love taking the chance to recognize my own mom. God knows she deserves the special recognition. After all, she is not only a Rockstar mom... She's also the BEST MOM EVER. She is. I also always have my students make something for their moms. And I'm also always sure to make contact with all the other moms in my life, sending them best wishes on their special day. Women like my sister-in-law, aunts, cousins, friends, co-workers, etc. I always want all the moms in my life to know they're valued and appreciated.

But that's not all I wanted to talk about. It's the other side of the Mother's Day coin. The side that some people don't like talking about, for fear of making people uncomfortable, or being labeled a party pooper, or whatever... 

It's the fact, that for some women, Mother's Day can be difficult.



You see...

Some women have children who have passed away. 

Some have children who have ran away or have, God forbid, gone missing.
Some have broken relationships with their children.
Some have had miscarriages and ectopic pregnancies.
Some have faced the rejection by failed adoptions.
Some have faced the pain of infertility.

Or what about the women whose own mothers are not in their lives for various reasons (death, strained relationships, etc.)?

And honestly, there are so many other scenarios I could write about. 
I, myself, fall into another category.

There are women, like myself, who have never gotten married, never had any children.

Yet, we dream of the day when we can become a mom.

We're often the first to buy a gift for an expectant mom.

Or the first to hold a friend's baby.

Or the first to send well wishes when a baby is born.

But if I'm being totally, 100% honest.

Sometimes the pain is unreal.

Sometimes the ache of not having something you desperately want is unbearable.

Sometimes it just stinks.

* Now, let me clarify... What I'm saying is that as a non-mom, it stinks that you, yourself don't have something you so desperately desire for yourself. Please don't think I'm saying that it stinks that your friend has a baby. NO. That's most definitely NOT what I'm saying. We non-moms are genuinely/sincerely happy and proud for our friends and loved ones. We genuinely celebrate these blessings from our Heavenly Father.

And I will say, that if we were on a coffee/tea date, I would tell you that I do realize I am blessed. I may not have children of my own, but I do have 2 adorably awesome nieces. I have taught 100+ students over the years. I have friends and co-workers whose children I enjoy hanging out with, chatting with, babysitting, and just getting to know better. I love getting the chance to pour into the lives of these sweet gifts from above, sharing the love of Jesus with them and helping them learn and grow. And honestly, I love each and every one of these kids as if they were my own children.

But to wrap up this long blog post coffee/tea date...

If we were on a coffee/tea date, I'd say that I'm not against Mother's Day. I'm not against recognizing the awesome ladies who've earned the title of MOM. All I'm saying is that we should also remember the ones for whom Mother's Day is difficult. Don't pity these women (us). Please don't. There's no need for pity. Maybe instead... After thanking God for the blessing of mothers, maybe offer up a prayer for those hurting on Mother's Day. 

8 comments:

  1. I completely get what you mean. I'm not married nor do I have children - though I want both things. However, there are people who have tried and failed to have kids for years or who can never have them or can't have them on their own and aren't finding someone to settle down. So many reasons- like you said. These non moms are deserving of people's thoughts.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lauren, thanks for reading and commenting :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for acknowledging that Mothers Day isn't easy for all people. I haven't experienced it personally but I think of those who have lost a child, through miscarriage or later in life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bella, I agree with you there. I have many family members and friends who have experienced this type of pain. I can't imagine!

      Delete
  3. This brought tears to my eyes, as I have a desire for a husband and children too. I will be praying and thinking of you this Mother's Day.

    It's a different perspective that I've never thought of and one I can't thank you enough for pointing out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. I'll be praying/thinking about you too.

      Delete
  4. It breaks my heart to think of the countless women who will face this pain on Mother's Day. Thanks for daring to be real here, Elisabeth. I love your brave heart.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading/commenting Erin! And thanks for your sweet words too.

      Delete