Friday, January 22, 2016

Friday Favorites - Missions Edition


For this week's Friday Favorites post, I'm linking up with AndreaErika & Narci and talking about one of my favorite topics...  


MISSIONS

In prepping for my return to Senegal, I have received a lot of questions. I've tried to think of the most common ones and have included them in this post. 

And here we go...

When are you leaving? Are you ready?

I fly out on February 1st...exactly 9 days away :)

Am I ready? Yes and no. I'm ready in the sense that I'm so incredibly excited to be heading back, and even more than that, that I'm doing what God has called me to do. But I'm not ready in the sense that my To Do List at work and home is still a mile long. But I know it'll get done. :)


What will your home be like?

I will live in a little studio-style apartment. I often blow people's minds (most recently, one of my 5th graders) when I say this because I think some have the idea that missionaries in Africa only live in huts :)

Is there McDonald's and Walmart and places like that?

Nope. 

What foods do you miss the most while in Senegal?

Honestly, I miss the convenience of foods we have here in America. I miss drive-thrus for a quick dinner on the way home from work. I miss buying food and bringing home and eating it and not having to worry about bleaching my vegetables. Oh and being able to get drinks full of ice from restaurants and not wondering if the ice was made from filtered water... I miss things like that. 

Wait. Back up... Bleach your vegetables?! Why do you do that?!

I soak all (almost all) fruits and vegetables in bleach water to remove any little critters that might be on them. And yes I do rinse the bleach off so you don't taste it. But soaking them and cleaning them far beats the alternative of getting sick by not doing that. 


Can you drink the water?

...not straight out of the faucet. You have to feel turn your water for the same reasons you bleach the veggies. The water is so dirty that filtering it beats the alternative of getting sick by not filtering. And yes you can buy bottle of water but if you do that a lot, it can get quite pricey.

So can you bring food with you from America?

Yes. I do have a list of seasonings and spices and comfort foods that I'll be purchasing before heading back. 

What's on your food wish list?

A lot of spices/seasonings I like, Peanut butter, pepperoni, bacon... All sorts of goodness. Want to help me out with my wish list? Let me know and I'll send it to you :)

Do you see wild animals?

...in the zoo or on a safari drive :)

What language do the people speak? 

French is the national language, but there are many different tribal languages spoken throughout the country. Wolof is the most common.

Do you speak the language?

I know you know French to get by in the markets/shops and in basic conversations with people. Wolof? ...not so much. As of now, I know the basic greetings, but that's about it.

So what language do you teach in?

English


Dakar Academy, where you'll be teaching has students from where?

There are students from all over the world. At one point there were students from over 30 different countries. That's one of the things I love most about the school. ...the diversity.

What will you be teaching?

4th grade (General Ed.) 


How do you get paid?

DA pays a small stipend ($500) each month and for the time being, I'll be living off that and my own personals savings, along with a little bit some friends and family has blessed me with. It's doable, but will be quite challenging.


Wait... I thought you were getting paid by AGWM (the Assemblies of God)? 

I will be eventually. But I can't get paid by AGWM until all of my support has come in. People have promised support, which I thoroughly appreciate. But until all of my budget is raised - until all the promised donations and pledge forms actually get to the AGWM office and into my account, I cannot receive a salary from them.

Why do you need support from individuals/families if our church already supports you?

Believe it or not, I get this question often. People are not being rude by asking. They just don't know. 

Yes, churches support me. And yes, that is an incredibly HUGE BLESSING. But, I have a budget to raise and unless I raise the full amount, I don't get paid. So I am honestly, just humbly asking anyone who will to seriously, prayerfully consider supporting my ministry (and me). Missions is a partnership. Yes, I'm the one called to go to Africa. But I need those called to give to help me.

How can we financially support you?

You can go online at https://giving.ag.org/Give/Details/aec97232-a98e-467c-a25b-5a48f73940f3 and follow the prompts to give online. It's quick and easy for you and hits my AGWM account in just a few days.

Or if you'd prefer to not give online, I understand. Just send me an email at enichols85@gmail.com with your mailing address and I'll send you a support form.


Have anymore questions? Comment at the end of this post or shoot me an email at enichols85@gmail.com and I'll do my best to answer them.

No comments:

Post a Comment