Wednesday, December 27, 2023

What's Up December

 Happy Wednesday, Y'all

Today, I'm joining Shay and Sheaffer for the last What's Up Wednesday link-up of the year. 2023 was a wild ride. Here's hoping 2024 is amazing!



Every month we answer the same list of questions based on how things are currently going in our lives.

So let's get started...

What am I eating?

I'm eating all sorts of deliciousness... There's been Chick-fil-a and Mexican food from restaurants, the yummy spread we had on Christmas Day, an amazing baked potato topped with BBQ beef brisket I had last week, and so on. But one of my favorite things to eat (and make) was pancakes with my nieces. It's become a bit of tradition anytime I'm here visiting, to make chocolate chip pancakes with my nieces. And as they've gotten older, they've taken over more and more of the responsibility of making them. It's so fun to see how they've grown and to spend this time with them. Such precious memories for sure!


What am I reminiscing about?

My dad always loved the old trucks, especially red ones. So any time I see one I think of him. I think that's why I love how often you see them on Christmas decor. It makes me think of him. And of course, I always spend time at the holidays reminiscing about days gone by, thinking about my dad and wishing he was still with us, enjoying the family memories we're making together.


 What am I loving?

Being with my family :)


What have I been up to?

I mean, technically, the same answer from the last question could easily go here too. Seriously, being with my family is great. And this was the first time in a long time that we were able to actually celebrate Christmas together on Christmas Day and not a day before/after in a long long time, so that was special!


What am I dreading?

Nothing

What am I working on?

I finally mailed out my long overdue newsletters, along with Christmas cards, a couple days after landing in Alabama. Thankfully, I had my sweet mama to help me address/stamp the big stack of envelopes.


 What am I excited about?

I got some graduation cards in the mail the other day. How is it possible that there is only 5.5 more months 'til some of my favorite kiddos graduate? I know I'll cry when the day comes to deliver those cards. But boy am I so incredibly excited for, and proud of, each and every one of those incredible kids. I have known some of them since elementary school, some since middle school, and some for just a year or two. But I feel the same about them all. It's been such a joy working with their class! And it truly is exciting to think about what might be next for them all!


What am I watching?

Very little.

What am I reading?

I haven't been reading much. But I do have a couple books downloaded on my iPad, ready to read on my return flight to Dakar next week, thanks to a Christmas gift of an Amazon gift card.

What am I listening to?

I'm still listening to Christmas music. Although, I suppose that I should stop, since Christmas is over. However, my mom's family's Christmas get-together is this weekend coming up, so technically Christmas isn't over for us yet. So I can still listen to Christmas music a bit longer. Right? ;)

What am I wearing?

All the cold weather clothes... Oh my word is it cold here! I recognize it's only in the 50s here and that's nothing compared to some parts of the US (and beyond). But for this girl who's used to Dakar's temps, the 50s is freezing! :)


 What am I doing this weekend?

Meeting up with friends on Friday, dinner with my aunt and uncle (dad's brother and wife) Friday, celebrating Christmas with my mom's side of the family on Saturday, church somewhere on Sunday, and I'll need to make a Wal-Mart run at some point this weekend to buy a few food items to take back to Dakar with me too. Then past that, who knows what mischief I'll get into :)

What am I looking forward to next month?

The first couple days of the month, I'll still be in Alabama with my family. So that'll be nice. I leave on the 3rd, heading back to Senegal. And, past that... I typically love the return back to my students in January. I love hearing about their December Breaks with their families. I love hearing from those who celebrate Christmas on how that went. I love seeing their excitement over being back together again. It's a fun time as a teacher :)

Favorite recent Amazon find?

I ordered myself this shirt. Now when I'm all emotional over the thought of my people graduating or stressed over all the busy-ness of second semester, which will be include even more this year for me than in the past, I can wear this shirt and pretend it is (and I am) all fine. ha! :)


What's new this month?

Nothing much...

And that's what I'm up to this month.

What about you?

What are YOU up to this month? 

No comments:

Post a Comment