Thursday, October 22, 2009

Why I Love Senegal

In my class of 10 students, there are 7 different nationalities. Only 1 of those is Senegalese. 6 are children of missionaries. 2 are children of embassy workers. And 2 are children of area business men. I love my little eclectic group of kids. They bring such diversity (and fun) to my day every day.

This week my school is celebrating Senegalese Awareness Week. These are just some of the reasons my kids said they love Senegal...
1) I can pray to God and go to church here.
2) I can walk to school and don't have to ride a stinky yellow bus. (cute, I know) :)
3) I can go to different villages and speak different languages.
4) I can go to school with people from different countries than me.
5) I can eat yummy food I can't eat in America.
6) I can learn about people different from me.

It got me thinking too. Why do I love Senegal? These are just a few reasons I came up with...
1) God called me here. So I am blessed enough to live, minister, and work in the place He’s called me to.
2) I get to use the French I learned in high school and college (and thought I’d never use).
3) I am able to talk about God and hang scripture verses on the wall in my classroom, without punishment.
4) I get to try new (and often tasty) foods.
5) I’ve learned to cook…and I think I’m actually getting pretty good at it.
6) I get more exercise. I walk ½ mile (one way) to school each day. I also walk to the grocery store and some other places.
7) I get to visit churches where the service is entirely in French or Wolof…which is a good thing, because I’m able to feel the Holy Spirit moving in a place full of people that are totally different. Does that make sense?

No comments:

Post a Comment