Monday, October 4, 2010

Back in Dakar

The main theme of my itineration sermons this summer  was "freedom." Celebrating the 4th of July felt different this year. I know that many times I have taken all of my rights and things God's given me as an American for granted. I guess it hit me this summer more so since I'd spent the last 11 months living in a third world country in Africa. It was so nice to spend the summer with my family, friends, and church families from AL, GA, and KS.

I landed in Dakar on August 6th. It felt a little weird landing on my birthday...not sure why, but it did. I had spent most of my time in the airports and upon boarding the day before crying. I know God's called me to Senegal. And I was definitely happy to be going back. However, it was sad leaving this time. I didn't know for sure when I'd be coming back. I'd already planned not to return to the US next summer and since the cost of flying was on a continuous climb, I didn't know if I'd be able to come at Christmas time. I once heard someone say that this is the hardest part of being a missionary -- constantly saying goodbye to family.

But with all that said, I woke up (from a rough night's sleep in an uncomfortable plane seat) on my birthday with a new outlook on life. I was so happy. I was happy to be coming back to Dakar. I was happy to be teaching a new grade level this year. I was happy to be coming back and seeing my friends and "family" here in Dakar.

And as it turns out, this was one of my best birthdays ever. I woke up to a yummy (small) breakfast on the plane...


I had a yummy snack complete with colorful drink (OJ -- don't freak people) courtesy of the coolest 9 year old (now 10) I know... :)

...At this point, I was running on about 2 hours of sleep and having some issue with my eye. So please excuse how rough I look. :)

And then we celebrated the boss and my birthday (we share bdays) with a bunch of friends that night...complete with a yummy steak and chicken dinner complete with raspberry (for him) and key lime pie (for me) for dessert! :)

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

There have been a lot of high and low moments since I arrived back in Dakar. The power has gone out quite a bit. ...but my roommate and I have gotten pretty good at making snacks and meals and playing card games by flashlight/candlelight/headlamps... :)

 

There's been a LOT of rain. ...so much, in fact, that the soccer field at school flooded, giving kids (of all ages) hours and hours of fun. :) ....P.S. These pictures are courtesy of 2 other teachers here at DA.














No comments:

Post a Comment