Sunday, October 3, 2010

Heroes


Everyone has at least one hero. Some people choose military personnel. Some choose firemen or policemen. Some choose their parents or their teachers. When I was little, I chose missionaries.

I can remember being in elementary school and attending the Alabama A/G Kids Camp one summer. A missionary came and spoke to us kids about BGMC -- Boys and Girls Missionary Challenge (where kids raise money for missionaries). I remember her talking to us like we were REAL people…not just kids. She told us how our change helped boys and girls around the world. I remember crying and telling my mom that it wasn’t fair that I had a mommy and a daddy that loved me and fed me and took care of me when so many little boys and girls around the world did not have that. I then told her that that missionary, Cynthia Lucas, was my hero.

This summer, I had the opportunity to speak to boys and girls at the Kansas A/G Kids Camp about BGMC. I told them a story about how BGMC helps boys and girls in Africa. And then I told them how they can help those boys and girls that are less fortunate than them. After the service, I overheard a girl turn to her friend and say, “Miss Elisabeth is my superhero because she tells boys and girls in Africa about Jesus.”

Later that night I turned to my mom, with tears in my eyes, and said, “My dream has come true. I’m a missionary.” Do I feel like I’m a superhero like that little girl thinks of me? No. But I remember being a little girl and looking at a missionary thinking that she was my superhero. And hey…God only knows what the future holds. What if that girl becomes someone else’s superhero one day?

No comments:

Post a Comment