Friday, January 20, 2017

Big Words

In honor of Monday being Martin Luther King, Jr. Day in the US, we've been taking a look at the life of this amazing man all week in my 5th grade class. 

Earlier this week, I showed this youtube video to my kids.



In this video, someone reads aloud the book, Martin's Big Words: The Life of Martin Luther King, Jr. by Doreen Rappaport. Having read this book a few times before, I knew for sure I wanted to include it in my MLK unit this week.

Rappaport helps readers see how the words of Martin Luther King, Jr. inspired millions across generational and racial barriers. At the beginning of the book, we see how a young MLK, Jr. was influenced by the "big words" of his parents (quoting psalms from the Bible) and the racist Southern whites (whites only, segregation, etc.). These "big words" inspired him to do big things and use his own "big words" to bring about change in a world.

So I asked my 5th graders the following question...


Displaying IMG_2070.JPG

What BIG words will YOU share?

I explained to my 5th graders that, just like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr., they, too, have the chance to inspire others and to help change our world for the better. 

Their answers were sweet.

Displaying IMG_2054.JPG



They were full of truth.



Displaying IMG_2060.JPG

They were full of childhood innocence.

Displaying IMG_2052.JPG

Displaying IMG_2057.JPG

Displaying IMG_2061.JPG

They reminded us that our world is a big place.



And that we should always help others, especially those less fortunate than us.



They spoke volumes with just a simple word or two.

Displaying IMG_2059.JPG



Displaying IMG_2055.JPG

They recognized the importance of God's Word in our lives.



And they wanted people to know that ANYONE can make a difference.



I was impressed with the BIG WORDS they came up with. The days may often be rather long and tiring and challenging. But y'all it's really worth it. It truly is. These kids (all of them) INSPIRE me daily. And the results of this activity were no different. What a BLESSING each and every single one of my fifth graders is in my life!

Displaying IMG_2069.JPG

So... What BIG words will YOU share with the world?

No comments:

Post a Comment