Tuesday, July 30, 2019

A Decade Ago

Today is a big day. It's my Senegal-iversary.




I stepped foot on Senegalese soil for the very first time on this day, exactly 10 years ago. Y'all... That's a decade! How is that even possible?!

Life has changed so much in that amount of time. I've gotten older. And I'd like to think I've gotten wiser, as well. I know I've become more confident in my abilities as a missionary and a teacher. 

10 years ago, my dad and I loaded my suitcases in the car and headed to the airport in Atlanta, where I said a tearful goodbye to my family. Why'd I do it?

I was going for one reason...



I was going to fulfill the call God had placed on my life.

God had called me to be a Missionary Teacher.

He had graciously allowed me to help further His Kingdom through education. 



I was so young that first year. Honestly, I worried about that first class. I worried that I wouldn't be the teacher they needed. I worried that I would fail them. I worried so much... But you know, it really wasn't that bad. And I am so, over the moon, proud of those students (and yes, proud of me too). I loved watching them grow as the years went by. I loved seeing them shine in sports and musicals, in Drama and academics, in ministry and in life. I loved it!

And not just them.

I've taught 100+ students over the years. The majority of those students being at Dakar Academy, that school I crossed the Atlantic for a decade ago...

And y'all...

I am so, incredibly blessed to call each and every one of them "mine." I'm thankful that God led me to leave the comforts of "home" behind, sacrificing time with family and friends, leaving so much behind, all so I could love on those 100+ kids. 

I'm thankful for each classroom.

I'm thankful for each child.

I'm thankful for each opportunity I've had to learn and grow, to nurture and encourage, to teach and to love. I'm thankful for each opportunity I've had to share the love of our Heavenly Father and the Truth of His Word. 

I'm thankful for the past 10 years.

And I look forward to however many more God has for me.

I love being a part of the Assemblies of God World Missions Department.

I love being a part of Dakar Academy. 

I love being Ms. Nichols, a Missionary Teacher, just following her Savior around the world to her "home away from home," and doing what God has called me to do.



Thanks for the past 10 years Senegal.

It's been awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment