Saturday, March 6, 2010

Tales of Elementary Camp

Dakar Academy held its annual Elementary Camp last weekend. This is an event for 1st through 5th grade students. It starts on Friday afternoon immediately after school and ends at 8:00 the following morning. We had fun games, a yummy snack, a fabulous guest speaker, a yummy dinner, a bonfire for roasting marshmallows, 3 movies, a game of flashlight tag, free play time, and sleep time. **Although, I must say, not all participated in that last event. :)

I forgot my camera, so I didn't get any pictures, but I thought I'd share 3 of my favorite moments of camp (all coming from my class)...
  • Daniel came to me during school Friday and said, "Miss Nichols, am I going to be able to read my Bible tonight during camp?" I told him that he would and he went on about his business. When we dismissed the kids for a game of flashlight tag on the soccer field, Daniel comes up to me and asks if he can go to the lunch shelter where it's lit up and read his Bible, which of course I said yes to. This sweet boy read his Bible for about 15 to 20 minutes. All the while kids were running around him playing flashlight tag and other games, laughing and carrying on. When I would've probably gotten distracted and possibly even stopped reading and joined in on the fun, Daniel kept on reading. I felt so proud of this little boy at this moment.
  • Mihdi came to me on Monday and opened his backpack to show me he was already packed for camp...which wasn't until Friday. When I asked him why he'd packed so early, he said "Miss Nichols, I've never been to camp. I'm just so excited!"
  • Mihdi -- I heard someone yelling excitedly and turned around to see & hear Mihdi jumping up and down yelling, "I'm roasting marshmallows! I'm roasting marshmallows!" I asked him why he was so excited and he said, "Oh Miss Nichols my dreams have come true!"

No comments:

Post a Comment