Thursday, March 25, 2010

Faces

On my walk to and from school every day, I pass a lot of people...

1. Astou -- She lives in a building near mine. I'd went with a friend to check out the building the other day and met her. The day we went, I said very little...just a "hello" when we got there and a "have a good day" wen we left. But every day since then, when I walk by, Astou waves at me, smiles, and says "Hello Elisabeth." She's this sweet older lady with the most beautiful spirit. She seriously makes my day! And even though my French is not the greatest, we exchange greetings, waves, and smiles.

2. Tapha -- He owns the boutique (little "shop") near my apartment. He is very friendly and is helpful to those like me, whose French is not so hot. Most of our conversations are a mixture of French, Wolof, and English, which usually causes us to end up laughing at ourselves. Tapha is a Muslim, but always asks for us to pray for him. He's such a kind-hearted man.

3. Fruit Man -- I don't know this man's name. But he has a little cart he wheels around our little community with all kinds of fruit on it. He usually parks his cart outside the gate of the school, hoping to make a sell from the toubabs coming out. :) He always smiles, says hello, and asks how I am. And when do buy fruit from him, his eyes light up and he picks out the best fruit and tells me why they're good and when's the best time to get them, and all kinds of other random info. And even though I understand what he's saying, I can't always find the words (French) to offer a good reply. But he is patient and even helps me find the right word.

These are only 3 of the many faces I see all the time. These faces remind me of the good in the world. When I get aggravated about all the sand, my constant dirty feet, the extreme heat, power outtages, lack of "conveniences"...all that stuff...I remember these faces. I remember...that's why I'm here. I'm here to help spread the Gospel. God called me to come to this truly wonderful place and meet these truly wonderful people.

** Don't forget to take the time to notice the faces around you...

No comments:

Post a Comment