Wednesday, April 1, 2015

Wordy Wednesday



I was looking at the wealth of images at Casa de Google and saw the one above and thought it was perfect for this post.

I've had Dakar on my mind a lot lately and as I looked through some pictures the other day, I couldn't help but smile as the memories came flooding back.

Memories like...

1. the GREEN party with my first group of 1st graders


Bless their hearts. My sweet babies that year were incredibly hyperactive. Sitting still, staying quiet, and focusing was EXTREMELY difficult for this crew. ...which meant the majority of them stayed on "red" in terms of behavior most of the time. 

Well, about 6 weeks into school starting they FINALLY had an all (well, almost all) "green" week, so I threw them a Green Party, complete with green food, green art activities, green face paint, and we wore green clothes too! 

It was a blast!

2. Flame trees


Dakar was typically very dry and dusty brown. So seeing these trees in bloom always brightened my day.

3. Friendship


This picture was taken at DA's Olympics one year. These two cuties were headed to their next event and were so happy to be on each other's team. 

4. Burger avec l'oeuf


I love a good hamburger. In fact, I'd say it ranks pretty high up on my list of favorite foods. However, I was a surprised upon biting into my first hamburger in Senegal. Two of the main ingredients are a fried egg and french fries (loaded right into the bun). It took a while to get used to, but it was still super tasty. ...and it always made me smile :)

5. Fishing boats


I loved riding by the coast and seeing the brightly colored fishing boats. This is one thing that I definitely ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS think of when I think of Senegal.

6. Baby Goat


I remember being in Saint Louis, Senegal, and snapping this picture. I remember smiling, thinking how this little guy had escaped a grim future since he was probably too small for the sacrifice that his other goat buddies had been forced to become.

7. A student's feet


I'll never forget the little guy who these feet belong to. He has already endured more than any child his age should have had to. He was out of his home culture, out of his element, and away from anything familiar. I didn't speak his language and he didn't speak mine. At first, he "fought" with me almost daily. He totally and completely broke my heart. 

And then one day when I realized... This little guy had stolen my heart. I can honestly say that I have loved every single student that's come through my classroom's doors. But this guy... He was something special. 

It took so much energy and effort (and prayers) to get through to him, that when I finally did, I realized what an incredibly special prize this guy was. When I finally broke through his tough shell to see his true, beautiful self, I realized what an awesome kid he was. 

We may not have understood each other at first. But by the end, he was my buddy, my "assistant" in class. And when he moved away the following year, I cried and cried. 

This child... God sent him as the biggest lesson of my teaching career thus far. And I can't help but smile to think of this sweet little guy!

No comments:

Post a Comment