Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Christmas in Africa

Merry Christmas from Senegal!


It's always hard to be away from family on big events/holidays like yesterday. And I honestly have been a little sad lately about not seeing my favorite 5 people this Christmas...



But, this Christmas season has been so nice. And yesterday was a day full of happiness and no sadness at all. And I can honestly say, I'm so glad God allowed me to spend my time here in Dakar this December.

Here's a little taste of what I've enjoyed this December/Christmas season...

I watched Christmas programs and concerts full of some of my favorite kids :)



I decorated my classroom for Christmas.

 
 

We had a lovely Staff Christmas party at school.


I did all sorts of fun Christmas crafts and activities with my students.


  

There were class/club Christmas parties with "my" kids...

  

 

  

There was Christmas with my fellow AG-ers.


I had the joy of Christmas tree shopping with a co-worker new to Senegal, which was a super fun experience, full of more laughing than I honestly think I have ever done before :)

 



I went to quite a few Christmas movie nights with friends and co-workers...


I went to an International Fair with friends, had a delicious lunch, and even bought myself a Christmas gift or two :)

 




I went out for a fancy schmancy lunch with some friends and had the most amazing ceasar salad, lamb & mashed potatoes, and créme brûlée ever, with this fabulous group of ladies :)


I even cooked a bit more than usual since I was on Break and not in a fog of exhaustion like I usually am at dinner time each night during the school year :)

 

 

I celebrated Christmas Eve with a big group on a co-worker's roof, singing Christmas carols and worshipping together, freezing in the 70 degree windy evening's air, with the local mosque's call to prayer blaring in the background.


I was blessed to spend Christmas with a family that didn't mind taking in a "stray" like me for the holiday, who wrapped every item in my mom's package of goodies, so I'd have wrapped Christmas gifts this year both under the tree and in a stocking, making it extra special :)

 




My mom made sure I was loaded down with goodies, sending a box full of my favorites all the way from sweet home Alabama. And so between my mom and my friends, I racked up quite the Christmas loot this year :)

 


And we had a yummy Christmas Dinner with friends. Our dinner included turkey and all sorts of other deliciousness! My contribution was a banana pudding :)





 



All in all, I'd say this Christmas Season has been a nice one. And for that, I'm grateful!

No comments:

Post a Comment