Tuesday, August 13, 2019

What I Want Them to Know

Today is the first day of school.

Pencils are sharpened. Notebooks and folders and homework agendas are laid out. Textbooks are ready to be assigned. There’s even a Back to School gift in their cubbies, ready to go home with them at the end of the day.

My lesson plans are written in for the first week (in pencil, of course, since something will inevitably change). And I’ve held some meetings and scheduled some others for the coming weeks. 

I’ve decorated and rearranged our classroom, in a way I hope will maximize learning.

But that’s not all that is important.

There are some things I want my students to know...

I want them to know that they are loved.

I want them to know they are respected and their voices will be heard.

I want them to know they are uniquely created.

I want them to know they are smart and talented.

I want them to know that I know they may do or say things differently than their peers. They may learn differently thank their peers. They may look and act differently than their peers. But that’s okay.

I want them to know that being different is a gift. And I want them to know how to embrace their differences. 

I want them to have fun and I want them to realize that learning can be fun.

I want them to master the content they must learn - all the Math, English, Science, Social Studies, Bible, and more...

But I also want them to learn (and one day, to even believe) the Truth that is Jesus Christ and His amazing love for them.

I want them to see me as one who will listen and guide them and as someone who will discipline when needed... 

I want them to see me as one who will encourage them to shoot for the stars and to work towards their dreams.

I want them to never, not even for one second, doubt my love for/dedication to them.

I want them to feel safe and cared for.

I want them to be THEM... The incredible individuals God created them to be. 

I want them to know that I hope they have an amazing year.

There's so much I want them to know. I want them to learn all of the above and so much more this year.

Here's to a good year!

No comments:

Post a Comment