Monday, March 23, 2020

Even Though

Happy Tuesday Y'all

Last month, I read a blog post by Velvet Ashes that centered around the phrase,

Even though...

They centered it around Habakkuk 3:17-18, which says...

"Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation."

And ever since I read that post, it's been on my mind. 

And it reminded me of this song...




And then COVID-19 started spreading more widespread (literally, worldwide) than anyone could have imagined. And the news fed into a lot of the panic people were experiencing. Scrolling through Facebook or Instagram showed that many people were super scared and panicking.

Am I worried?

Honestly... I'm not too worried for myself. I'm taking the necessary precautions. I'm doing all the things I'm supposed to. Because of that, I'm truly not worried about myself catching this disease. I've stocked up on all of the essentials, so I have enough food and stuff to last me quite a while.

 However, my mind does wander periodically to worry about people in my life who are more susceptible to this illness. Family members, friends, colleagues, students, many of the Senegalese...  That's who I end up worrying most about...

Not to mention, in living overseas, there's an extra set of concerns. 

Last week the airport was closed down, which means there are no flights in or out, barring a major life/death level of emergency. ...which means, I'm basically stuck here for the time being. And if I'm being honest, I'll say that the feeling of being "trapped," so to speak, is a little unnerving.

And then yesterday, the government instituted a few more restrictions on us. A nightly curfew, no moving from city or city, etc. And the rumor mill is saying we should expect a total lockdown soon, if the number of cases doesn’t drop soon.

But, a good friend and I were talking about all of this yesterday...

It's weird. I feel as if I’m in this weird state of semi-peace and semi-anxiousness. I truly do feel safe and peaceful at home (my home here in Senegal). And in all reality, there are less cases in the whole country here than there are in my home state in the U.S. 

But I do sometimes worry. 

And it's in those times, those words in Habakkuk come back to me...

"Even though the fig trees have no blossoms, and there are no grapes on the vines; even though the olive crop fails and the fields lie empty and barren; even though the flocks die in the fields and the cattle barns are empty, yet I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation." (Habakkuk 3:17-18)

 And so, as I go through my days, I'll try to spend more time humming Micah Tyler's song and repeating those words from Habakkuk. And I'll remember...

Even though a disease is rapidly spreading...
 
Even though colleagues are battling for their lives, thanks to this disease... 
 
 Even though I'm a few thousand miles and an ocean away from family...

Even though I recognize that there is a small possibility I might not get to go home to see my family this summer... 

Even though special events may be cancelled...

Even though I'm basically stuck at home...

Even though my students are confused because our routine is changed...

Even though I miss my students something fierce (even if it is Spring Break)...

Even though there is doom & gloom all over social media...

Even though most news stories are panic/anxiety inducing...

Even though there are so many things I could potentially worry about...

Even though...

I can focus on Him.

"I will rejoice in the Lord! I will be joyful in the God of my salvation."

Because no matter what difficult times I (or those I love) may face, God is still, and will always be, in control. And I will rejoice in Him.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Today, I'm joining Ashley and Erika for their monthly Tuesday Talk link-up, where we, bloggers, come together and talk about whatever is on our mind at the moment.

No comments:

Post a Comment