Wednesday, April 24, 2024

What's Up April

     Happy Wednesday, Y'all

Today, I'm joining Shay and Sheaffer for April's What's Up Wednesday link-up. 



Every month we answer the same list of questions based on how things are currently going in our lives.

So let's get started...

What am I eating?

I made a big pot of pasta the other day and am eating that each day for lunch. I used bow tie noodles, some boursin garlic & herbs cheese, spinach, chicken, and some random spices/seasonings. It's super tasty and filling!


What am I reminiscing about?

The 9th anniversary of my dad's death was last week. So that's definitely been on my mind. I've been thinking a lot about him. He was always so incredibly supportive of me and my ministry here in Senegal. But he also made me feel like a million bucks when I'd come home for a visit. And I know if he were alive today, he would be so excited about me moving back to Alabama. Oh my, do I miss him!


 What am I loving?

I'm loving being back with my people after Spring Break ended a couple weeks ago. Whether that's teaching lessons, helping students in a Study Hall, watching their games, or attending events with them, I love it. I'm in my element when I'm with my people.


What have I been up to?

I've been applying to/interviewing for jobs for when I'm back in the US. I have a nice little set up at my dinning table that I use during the interviews and obviously, I only schedule interviews during the late afternoon/early evenings (my time), since I'm still teaching during the day. In that sense, the time difference works out well for me. Anywho - Since the beginning, my prayer has been that God would open the right doors and close the wrong ones and that if I received an offer of a job, He'd make it exceptionally clear what answer I should give. It's hard to turn down jobs, but I know what I'm looking for and I have to fully trust and believe that He knows what's best for me. Now, if the one that is best for me would finally just offer me a job :)


What am I dreading?

If I'm being honest, the goodbyes that are coming at the end of the school year are weighing on my mind. I always hate the normal end of year goodbyes when students leave or friends move away. But this year, I'm feeling the weight of this even more since I'm leaving. I'm leaving students. I'm leaving friends and co-workers. I'm leaving my school/ministry. I'm leaving this country that I love so much. Yes, I'm excited about what's next. But the goodbyes will still be hard. Boy, will they!


What am I working on?

I'm working on sorting and packing. There's just so much stuff. I guess that's normal when you've been in a place as long as I have. But seriously, I had no idea I had so much until the time came to pack to move back to the US in just a few suitcases... People have no idea.


 What am I excited about?

I'm excited about getting some fabric and having a couple things made before I leave. That is one thing on my "bucket list" and I'll soon be able to check it off. A couple friends and I are going to the fabric market this upcoming weekend. Then I'll visit the tailor at some point, maybe the week after that. Here's the style inspiration picks I've been looking at... I'm planning to get a dress, a skirt, and a jacket (not pictured) made. I'm not really sure what color, or even design, of fabric I want. So really, I'm just planning to look around until something catches my eye. So we'll see :)

What am I watching?

Nothing - I watched my way through Brooklyn 99 during Spring Break. But I'm back to ignoring TV shows/movies again. My brain enjoys the quiet in the evenings, more than the thought of watching a show.

What am I reading?

I was reading Romans 12 earlier, realizing I want this to continue to be my guide as I finish out my time here in Senegal. Then our school chaplain shared these verses with us in our staff devotions time this morning. So it was like a little further confirmation for me. Such a great group of verses!


What am I listening to?

Nothing new - Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not terribly picky :)

What am I wearing?

Nothing new or exciting - I've been slowly sorting through my clothes, as I get ready to head back to the US. My plan is to do one last sort next week, keeping out the ones I'll need for the rest of my time here in Senegal and go ahead and pack up any I'm taking to the US with me when I go. Then that'll be one more (well, more than one) thing I can get rid of...

 What am I doing this weekend?

I'm doing a CPR/First Aid training on Saturday morning. Then on Sunday, I will have church and afterwards will go to the fabric market with a couple friends. Then I'll need to do a bit of lesson planning and meal prep at some point too.

What am I looking forward to next month?

All the end of year fun with our seniors (especially the senior trip), along with other stuff happening at school. I'm also looking forward to finishing the big sort and packing for the US (minus the clothes I'll be wearing between now and then). I'll also need to sort through/pack up my classroom since I don't know what's happening in it. And since I purchased a lot of what's in there, I'm planning to sell a lot of that stuff as well. And yes, I'm also looking forward to the random Wednesday we'll have off from school in May, thanks to Senegal having Labor Day then. I'm also planning to take the two days after that off to do that last big sort/pack that I was talking about earlier. 

May is always a super busy month for us at school. But this year, it'll be even more so with all the graduation related events, since I'm one of the senior class sponsors. And while the thought of that causes a roller coaster of emotions in my gut and heart, I'm choosing to embrace it all, deal with/work through the hard times as they come and live in the moment, enjoying the time I have left with the people (and in the place) that I care about so much.  Here's to May!

Favorite recent Amazon find?

I ordered this "belt bag" off Amazon for someone to bring out to me. Yes, I'm about to leave but the smaller purse I use all the time is slowly unraveling. Clearly, I use it every single day. Anywho - I needed something new. And this one met all the criteria: small, nothing fancy, cheap good/safe for travel, and black so it'd go with everything. So yeah... When I realized someone was coming this way, I asked if he'd be willing to bring it out for me.


What's new this month?

My decision to take a picture each morning on my walk to my classroom isn't necessarily new. But the picture below was new, as I took it yesterday. My goal a couple months back was to take a picture each morning on my walk to school. It forced me to stop for a second, take a breath, and look at the sky, marveling at God's handiwork. I'm currently in a busy, stressful, emotional roller coaster time of life, as I finish up another school year and prepare to wrap up my life in Senegal, a place where I've lived and worked for the majority of my adult life. And even though I know that I am 100% lead by God to make this change, it's still hard y'all. So hard. And I don't want to get so caught up in the busy-ness and stress that I forget to notice the seemingly little things that God is doing in my life and the lives of the incredible people He's placed in my path. I want to stop and smell the roses, so to speak. Or in this case... I want to stop and marvel at the beauty of the clouds or the sunrise.


And that's what I'm up to this month.

What about you?

What are YOU up to this month? 

1 comment:

  1. I will be praying for you.
    www.rsrue.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete