Saturday, April 14, 2012

The 8th Dear ______ Post

Dear Dakar, I  missed you while I was gone, first to London for vacation and then to Saly for our mission's retreat. I've missed seeing your people. I've missed speaking French. I've missed the sights and smells of this city I've come to love so much. It's good to be home. Yes it is.

Dear First Graders, As much as I enjoyed my Spring Break, I was glad to get back to work this week. I have missed your hyperactive loving selves. I have missed your sweet smiles, your big hugs, and your sweet spirits. I have missed your eagerness to learn. I have missed your zeal for life. I have even missed your often clinginess and neediness. I have missed hearing "Teacher Teacher" and the one-word question, "Why?" a zillion times a day. But most of all, I have missed teaching the 9 of you each day. I am so grateful for the call God's placed upon my life to be your teacher.

Dear 26 Pounds, I've slowly lost you since January. I didn't believe it at first when I saw that number on the scale, but it's true. My waist line and baggy pants (well, clothes in general) prove it. And whether or not anyone else ever notices it, I don't care. I'm happy for and proud of myself. :)

Dear African Wedding, Today I experienced you for the first time. And wow! What an amazing experience you were. It was so fun to wear my nicest African dress. It so so fun to experience this joyous occasion with Christian brothers and sisters from a different culture than my own. I loved it!

Dear Stockpile of Canned Goods, My roommate and I created you when we were receiving constant warnings of political unrest and possible lockdowns. Now that things have settled down, it looks like we'll be eating canned food for a LONG time.

Dear iTunes Gift Card, When you were given to me by a friend this week, I was thrilled! Yesterday I uploaded you and now, I can't wait to start using you. What a fun surprise you were this week!

Dear Plain Rice Cakes, Some people think you're incredibly bland and disgusting, but I disagree. I bought a big bag of you while in London, and am slowly working my way through your deliciousness. :) 

Dear The Circle Maker by Mark Batterson,  You were recommended to me by a friend. I am so enjoying reading you! I have read, reread, and reread again each chapter. I've never read a book like you. I am literally "getting" something new every single time I read you. You were a wise investment. Yes, you were.

Dear Holy Spirit, I thank you for your comfort and for your guidance. I thank you for your awesome gifts. I thank you for being such a strong, present part of my life. I was discussing you with a co-worker yesterday and we both were saying how incredibly blessed we feel by getting to daily experience you, your gifts, and your overall goodness. It's so great to know that if I start to feel the smallest bit of sadness or loneliness, I can turn to you. That's a hope worth having. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment