Saturday, April 21, 2012

The 9th Dear _______ Post

Dear Picture of Self, I kind of like you. (said in a non-prideful way, of course),  


Dear Noise Cancellation Headphones, WOW! You're amazing. I used you a few nights in a row when I was working on grad school work and didn't want to hear the sounds from the highway or loud, screaming babies, or the barking of all the stray dogs congregating in our neighborhood right now. 


Dear Worship Music, I've always liked listening to you. But lately you've had a more common presence in my life. When I'm cooking or working in the kitchen, I turn the volume up on my ipod and let you go. (...sorry neighbors) :) I have you playing in my classroom when I'm working before/after school and during planning times. I have you playing on my ipod when I'm running. And lately I've noticed that I've started doing something new - I keep catching myself humming or quietly singing a worship song at random times during my day or even falling asleep or waking up with a song in my head. I'm loving it! 


Dear Facebook, It's been (gasp!) a week since I last got on you. And you know what? I'm ok. :) I'm sure I'll be back. After all, you are a great way to stay in contact with my missions supporters, family, and friends. But I really need to focus more on God and grad school work (since I only use you when I'm at home), and less on you. And while I know I'm definitely not addicted, I could definitely spend less time on you. Therefore, I'm going to continue with my break from you. 


Dear Banana Bread with White Chocolate Chips, When I saw I still had a few white chocolate chips left and a few bananas about to "expire," I knew immediately I wanted to experiment. And oh my word! You were heavenly! :) 


Dear Jacket, I've worn you a lot this week. I thought cool season was over, but I was happily mistaken. :) 


Dear Psych, What's up with having such a big cliffhanger for the last episode of this season? I realize you'll be back, but not 'til the Fall. That's sooooo long to wait to see what happens! 


Dear Spring 2013, I got a notice this week that says I'm eligible for graduation during you. It's so hard to believe that it's finally about to happen! ...well in a year :) I am a little sad that I'll miss my actual graduation, though. But you know, I think it'd be just a little hard to fly back to the States for graduation on Saturday and be back in Senegal on Monday for school. What do you think? :( 


Dear 47 Days, That's how many days, from today, I am away from seeing my parents. While I love Dakar and will definitely miss it while I'm gone for the summer, I'm so happy to be able to get the opportunity to go see them while school is out for the summer. 


Dear Crockpot, You are an awesome invention. I love that I can put Saturday's lunch in you on Friday night before bed and you cook all night long. You make life just a little bit easier. Thanks for that! :)


Dear Saying Yes Ma'am and No Ma'am, In the southern United States you are a sign of respect. Kids could get in trouble for not saying you. So it was really hard for me to get used to teaching children that don't say that. ...because in everywhere BUT the South (U.S.) people don't say that. In fact, it's even considered NOT respectful in some places. Anyways, this week I got a new student whose mom is from Alabama. The first thing her mom says to me is, "Make sure she says yes ma'am and no ma'am." :) This may seem silly to some people, but it has made me smile every time this sweet little girl says ma'am at the end of her response to me. It is so sweet and refreshing for this southern lady's heart. :)



No comments:

Post a Comment