Thursday, November 19, 2015

Memories

It's been 7 months...


It's been 7 months since my dad passed away. They say it gets easier over time. And while I think that is somewhat true, sometimes it's still so incredibly hard. 

I just miss him so very much...

So in honor of 7 months of separation, I've been thinking about all sorts of memories...

I remember him laying on the floor with my brother and me, playing with our toys - Barbies for me and GI Joes for Josh :)

I remember one Fall, there were so many leaves, that the hill behind our house made for the perfect Fall sledding spot. So he rigged up a sled out of something and we all laughed and played for hours and hours and had the best time!

I remember moving all those times and thinking I was such a big shot riding with him in the uhaul truck.

I remember him chaperoning my field trip to Bellingrath Gardens when I was in elementary school.

I remember him praying with me at the altar of the church when I made the decision to follow Jesus forever. I remember him baptizing me when I was ready to make that public confession of faith. And I remember him laying hands on me at youth camp when I was baptized in the Holy Spirit.

I remember him driving our band bus in high school.

I remember him holding me tight and letting me cry over some boy who'd broke my heart.

I remember him waiting to open his Christmas gifts 'til we kids had opened ours.

I remember him leaving the Atlanta airport after my very first time going to Senegal and me turning around and seeing him wiping tears away. 

I remember him finding our he was going to be a grandpa and begging my brother and sister-in-law to not be joking :)

I remember him riding with me to Selma the day of my first interview at the school here - all so he could just be with me. 

I remember our trip to the Navy vs South Alabama game last year. He was freezing, but had the best time!

I remember his pride in talking about his family.

I remember his strength...

I remember his wisdom...

I remember his love.


I miss him. 

But I'm so very thankful for the memories. 


No comments:

Post a Comment