Monday, June 20, 2016

10 Books

A friend wrote a blog post about the 10 books she'd be sure to include in her upcoming move (almost literally) around the world. So I thought I'd "steal" her idea...

 

When moving overseas, you're allowed 2, maybe 3 suitcases with up to 50lbs in each. 

Once you factor in clothes, food, ministry/work supplies, etc., there's not a lot of weight/space leftover. 

So books must hold a special place in one's heart to take up space in one's luggage on a transcontinental move :)

 

So which 10 books make the cut for me?

Well, first let me give couple "warnings" ahead of time...

The Bible isn't included in this list, but obviously it'd come along (in probably more than one translation/version too).

I'd also bring some type of devotional book (which isn't included in this list), along with the book/books for whatever class/classes I'm taking at the moment (since I'm a forever student apparently).

And while the e-books app on my iPad is great, there's just something about holding a paperback book in my hand...

 

So now let's get to my list, which is in no particular order, by the way...

1, 2, 3 - The Half-Stitched Amish Quilting Club books 

I've read each of the books in this trilogy by Wanda Brunstetter a couple tomes and love them. Each has a great story line and it's been fun to follow along with the lives of the characters as each new book comes out. Plus, it's nice to read a Christian fiction book that's not overly cheesy/corny. They're just really good books. 

4 - Julie and Romeo

I read this book by Jeanne Ray a few years ago on my Kindle and loved it so much, I bought the paperback version, and have since read it multiple times. It's just a fun, cheesy, love story that keeps my interest and makes me want to keep reading even after the story is finished.

5 - Through the Gates of Splendor

Elisabeth Elliot has always been someone I've looked up to. I've always felt in awe of the story of her family and the people they were called to minister to. To see how God worked through the lives (and deaths) of these people is truly amazing! What a great story for missionaries everywhere!

6 - The Circle Maker

I love this book by Mark Batterson. It's such a good book to use in prayer and while waiting on the Lord. 

7 - One Thousand Gifts

This book by Ann Voskamp was given to me during a particularly painful time in my life about four years ago and was just what I needed at the time. I've since read and reread through it a few times, and have even written out my own list of 1,000 gifts a couple times. 

8 - The Rainbow Fish (for kids)

This popular book by Marcus Pfister is my absolute favorite children's book. This book is always on my shelf in my classroom, no matter if that classroom is in a small town in Alabama or in a big city in West Africa. 

9 and 10 - Year in Picture Books 2014, 2015

In 2014 I started taking a photo a day and then compiling each of those into a photo book at the end of the year. It's so fun for me to look back through these books and relive those memories.

So which books would you take?

No comments:

Post a Comment