Monday, September 11, 2017

September's Coffee Date

Today, I'm joining Erin for her monthly Coffee Date link-up, where bloggers come together, pretend they're on a "coffee date" with a friend and share a bit about life at the moment.

So pull up a fake chair and let's chat.

Image result for i like drinking dr pepper quote
Let's be honest. Coffee's gross. Give me a cup of Dr. Pepper instead :)

If we were on a coffee date, I'd likely be drinking a Dr. Pepper. Why? Two reasons... 1) Coffee is gross. And 2) I mean, really... Is there anything better? :)

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that this chat blog post is going to start off negative. But I'd tell you not to worry, because it does get better. I promise.

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you about the blog post I wrote 8 days ago, in which I discussed a shift in perspective I'd recently experienced. If you missed that post, you can read it by clicking HERE. In that post, I talked about how, since I'd injured my wrist, God had been dealing with my heart, helping me to see the positives that had come out of a frustrating and painful situation.

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that on Monday night, I considered deleting that same blog post. You see, I sat through my Bible Study holding my arm, feeling intense pain and frustration, over "this stupid injury," as I liked to call it.

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that fear gripped my heart. I was so scared that I would end up having to have surgery on my wrist. I was scared that I would have permanent damage to my wrist. I was scared of all the "what ifs" and worst case scenarios.

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that the frustration over not being able to do my job the way I want to do it was taking it's toll on me, adding to the stress I was (am) feeling already from other various situations at work.

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that on Friday morning, during our staff prayer time, I asked for prayer for healing. You see, Friday morning, my wrist was still hurting. I was still in the splint. I was still unable to give 100% at work due to having my dominant wrist/hand/arm immobilized. I was totally, 100% overwhelmed. And I knew that the only remedy was prayer.

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that on Saturday evening, I took the splint off and noticed my arm was broken out. FYI - The ridiculous heat/humidity here in Dakar plus a wrap/splint that doesn't allow air flow is a bad combination. Anywho - I cleaned up my arm and realized there was no way I could put that splint back on. But I noticed something... My wrist could rotate right and left and not hurt. So I wrapped my wrist so it couldn't move, but left the splint off. Then I wore the sling, so there was no chance of my wrist moving more than it should.

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that a doctor examined it yesterday morning, and we realized that I could still rotate it side to side and it only hurt a tiny bit. Flexing it up and down hurt more. But even that wasn't unbearable like it was earlier this week. So we formed a new plan, of which I shared on Facebook yesterday.

No automatic alt text available.

 

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that I know God has started the healing process of my wrist. And just as I said in the Facebook post I shared above, I can live with a little pain. A little pain is nothing. But I'm just so over the moon excited that it appears that God is honoring the time I'd hoped I'd be healed by. How's that for coolness?! :)

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that things may not be perfect in my life. I may have a lot on my plate right now, playing catch up at work, due to working one-handed (with my non-dominant hand) causing everything to take way longer than normal. I may be feeling stress from time to time.

But if we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that taking that splint off and feeling such little pain was such a HUGE spirit lifter for me. So even if that dull pain were to stay forever, at this point, I'd say I'm fine. :)

If we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that I know this recover process isn't over. I know my left wrist/hand/arm is immobilized, meaning I'll still have a bit more time of working with my one (non-dominant) hand. I know there are things I'll still have to get help with. I know there'll still be pain. 

But if we were on a coffee date, I'd tell you that I can so very clearly see God's hand at work in this. And that is such an incredibly amazing feeling.


1 comment:

  1. Ouch! I hope your wrist continues to heal smoothly. That must be very frustrating but it's wonderful that you can see God's hand in all of this :)

    ReplyDelete