Wednesday, December 12, 2018

10 Years Later

It's been 10 years since I graduated college.

Image may contain: one or more people
10 years.
That's crazy.
I so vividly remember being a little girl, lining up all of my stuffed animals and baby dolls, pretending they were the students and I was the teacher.
I have always wanted to be a teacher.
That desire never changed. 

I love teaching.

It's something I definitely enjoy.

It's my passion.

It's what God's called me to do.

Over the past 10 years, I've taught well over 100 students.

I've taught Elementary (1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th).

I've taught ESL (1st - 12th).

I've taught Special Ed. Inclusion (2nd - 5th).

And I've taught Special Ed. Self-Contained (all grades).

Each year I say that my students that year are my favorites. And let's be honest... I always mean it because they always are my favorites :)

10 years

In the past 10 years, I've learned a few things. 

I've learned...

Getting a Master's degree is hard work.

Working on a second Master's is even harder.

Proverbs 31:8 should be in the back of a teacher's mind at all times.

Teaching is not a simple 7:30 to 3:30 job.

Sometimes what a child needs most is not found on a lesson plan.

Some people will NEVER understand all a teacher does.

Self-Care is a must.

Teachers must continue to learn and grow.

Reading is a requirement of the job.

Technology will almost always fail at the worst possible time.

Students rarely act how you'd like on observation days.

You're rarely truly "off" the clock.

Teaching sticks with you.

Children will come to you hungry. Feed them.

Children will come with empty hands. Give them the pencil/paper.

Children will come with holes in their hearts. Show love.

Children notice what you say and do.

Everyone needs love, whether they show it or not.

The worst behaved child usually has a reason. Learn it.

Disabilities aren't always very noticeable.

Not all teachers care.

Make connections.

Greet your students when they walk through the door.

Take an interest. 

Learn their stories.

Pray over their desks every morning.

There are so many more lessons I could share.

But I'll end with this one...

Stay in the Word. God gave you this calling. ...this job. Honor Him by doing it to the best of your ability. Pray. Worship Him. Share His love with those students. Be a vessel for His light to shine each and every day. 

And to wrap up this post, let's take a look down memory lane.

Here's just a few of the 100+ kids I have called (and will always call) "mine" over the past 10 years. My students..
.
FYI - This doesn't show my kids from my first teaching job in Montevallo OR my teaching job in Selma, as I didn't have permission to take/share those kids' photos. Also, this is only a small fraction of the kids I've taught :)


No comments:

Post a Comment