Saturday, January 2, 2021

My Word for 2021

Happy New Year from my sweet home Alabama!


A few years ago, in place of the more traditional New Year's Resolutions, I decided to start choosing a word (or words) for the upcoming year. Words that would guide my thoughts and actions throughout the year... Words I could focus on as I moved throughout the year ahead. 

In 2017, I chose the words joy, move, write, read, and rest.

In 2018, I chose the word growth.

In 2019, I chose the words grace and rest.

And in 2020, I chose the word care.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

I have prayed and thought about my 2021 word for quite some time. And one word kept coming to mind. I would see it in the Bible passages I was studying. I would hear it in sermons and songs at church and on the radio (or on iTunes). I would see quotes, containing the word, shared on Facebook. I received not one, but two, Christmas gifts (a planner and a devotional book) with the word on it. And no one, but God and I knew this word was one I'd been thinking about. 

My word for 2021 is going to be

GRACE

In Christian circles, this word is used a lot. It is the unmerited favor, given to us by God, by which we are saved through our faith in Jesus Christ.

It's kindness.

It's a desire to serve others.

It's extending mercy.

It's realizing that perfection is impossible.

It's reacting out of facts and not just emotions.

It's accepting faults and working through/past them.

It's choosing patience.

It's less criticism and more compliments.

It's less judgment and more understanding.

It's forgiveness.

It's loving others.

It's loving yourself.


In 2021, I plan to extend more grace to everyone in my life. 

And I also plan to extend more grace to myself.

I'm not perfect. I need to accept that. 

I need to love me for who I am.

I need to love me for who God made me to be.

1 comment:

  1. It is important to extend grace to others as well as to ourselves. Great word for 2021!

    Colletta

    ReplyDelete