Friday, January 5, 2024

My Word for 2024

 Happy New Year (plus a few days) from Senegal!


A few years ago, in place of the more traditional New Year's Resolutions, I decided to start choosing a word (or words) for the upcoming year. Words that would guide my thoughts and actions throughout the year... Words I could focus on as I moved throughout the year ahead. 

In 2017, I chose the words joy, move, write, read, and rest.

In 2018, I chose the word growth.

In 2019, I chose the words grace and rest.

In 2020, I chose the word care.

And then in 2021, I chose the word grace (again).

And then I don't know what happened the last two years. I guess I didn't blog about them. However, I did still choose words for both years... In 2022, I chose the words "be still" and in 2023, I chose the word "faithful."

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A few weeks ago, I began praying about what word/words I would choose for the upcoming year. And one word kept coming to mind...

Choice

It made me think of a quote from Thomas Guthrie, that I'd saved from Instagram a month or so ago, which said...

"If you find yourself loving any pleasure more than your prayers
Any book better than the Bible
Any house better than the house of the Lord
Any table better than the Lord's table
Any persons better than Christ
Or any indulgence better than the hope of Heaven
Be alarmed."

That quote had definitely stuck with me.

I read my Bible every day. But how often do I find myself mindlessly scrolling through social media or watching some funny TV show, saying I'm too tired to read/study and that I'll fall asleep if I read?

How often do I feel frustrated about a situation and want to vent to a friend instead of first (or at all) spending time in prayer about the situation? 

How often do I take a more negative/pessimistic view in life?

I could continue, but you get the idea.

While I'm a bit ashamed to admit the above, I still wanted to share. Perhaps in the spirit of honesty and vulnerability and maybe some accountability too... 

Yes, I'm a Christian.

Yes, I'm in ministry. 

But I'm also human and (obviously) not perfect. 

So, all that to say...

This year, my word for the year is 

CHOICE.

I'm going to work harder at making the right choices.

The choice to spend time reading/studying my Bible MORE than reading other books or mindlessly scrolling through social media or watching a TV show

The choice to spend time in prayer FIRST before venting to, or asking advice from, others about any situation that may arise.

The choice to look for the positives MORE than the negatives.

The choice to eat healthier and NOT settle for junk as much. And along those lines, the choice to do more prep work ahead of time for meals AND snacks. That way I'll know that I have good, filling, healthy options available. Will I still have snacks and eat junk food or order a pizza every now and then? Of course. BUT I know me. When I plan ahead, I do so much better.

The choice to spend my time doing more things that fill me up and bring me JOY. 

The choice to say NO when I need to and actually be okay with that. As much as I'd like to think otherwise, I tend to be a people pleaser. And part of that involves saying "yes" to all the things, even when I really really don't want to do all the things. So I'm going to do a better job of choosing what I say yes (or no) to. And I'm going to remind myself that it's okay to say no every now and then.

The choice to be happy with myself and who I am.

I realize that last one semi-contradicts a lot that I've said earlier in this post. But hear me out... I tend to be quite negative about myself (in many areas), often comparing myself to others or letting others' opinions of me affect how I view/look at/think about myself. But I'm going to make a more conscientious effort to CHOOSE to look at the positives of me. I'm happy with this life God's given me. I'm happy with who I am. And that's important.

And now, if you've made it this far and read my ramblings, I'd like to say thank you. I started this blog 14.5 years ago, as a way to keep family and friends back home updated when I moved overseas. These days, I don't write nearly as much as I used to. It's basically been morphed into a journal of sorts, where I share random info about my life at the moment. But I keep writing/posting because I enjoy it.

Happy 2024 Everybody!

What new/positive choices will you be making this year?

No comments:

Post a Comment