Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Randomness on a Wednesday Morning

Corn starch, water, and a little food coloring can make for a fun science experiment. Throw in Dr. Seuss's fun story, "Bartholomew and the Oobleck," and make it even more fun. Add 8 excited kids and the excitement becomes almost contagious. I've made this almost every year with my kids at the end of our Science unit on Matter (solids, liquids, and gases) and it never disappoints. It's always a fun one!

Pinterest is an addictive informative website :) This week I've found a couple new recipes I want to try, a few Dr. Seuss themed activities to do with my class this week, a few outfit ideas using clothes I already own, and more. And it's even made me think of a new blog post series where I highlight successes (or failures) I've had/made from things I've pinned on Pinterest...

I love the academic progression that takes place throughout the year in 1st grade. It always amazes me at how much my students grow academically throughout the year. This is especially so in reading. I love to see the light above their heads grow from little dim lightbulbs to flashing neon lights. It's such a fun grade to teach. I've taught 5th grade (Special Ed.) and 3rd grade too. But after teaching 1st grade for 3 years now and must say, it is my favorite to teach and while I'm happy about the future, it makes me a little sad to think about leaving 1st grade to teach something different... :(

My grad. school graduation ceremony is May 11th. I'm going to miss it since I'll still be here in Dakar. And while I know that I am definitely where God's called me to me, and am happy to be here, it still makes me sad that I'm going to miss my graduation :(

And now since I've just ended two items with sad faces, here's a few happy faces...

I found out yesterday that our plane tickets for our mission's retreat for next month cost less than we were expecting, so I get money back. Yay for extra money I wasn't planning on :)

I'm going to be speaking about Jesus being our superhero this afternoon in Kids Club. I mentioned it to my students yesterday and they were very excited about it! I love seeing kids excited, learning about Jesus! And a few of my kiddos have said from the beginning that Jesus IS their superhero, so this is a perfect lesson. I first got the idea when I found out the theme of our school's Junior Carnival this weekend is Superheroes. I thought that'd be a perfect topic for Kids Club too. I can't wait! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment