Thursday, July 10, 2014

My One Thousand Gifts #'s 226 - 236

A while back, I read the book, One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp and loved it. In the book, she tells about how, even through intense tragedies, she was still able to find little "gifts" left by God every day - things that reminded her that He was still looking after her, even if there were bad things going on in her life.

When I started my own list of one thousand gifts, I thought it'd be super easy. But you know, sometimes life happens, and it gets harder. I had a beloved family member die. I'm having to watch another battle multiple life threatening illnesses. A friend went through an incredibly traumatic event. The list could go on and on. And I'll be honest. It made it hard to find things to be thankful for when those I love are going through such horrific things.

But God slowly opened my eyes to the seemingly little things that brightened my otherwise dark days - things like a handwritten note from a student, a compliment from a friend, a trip to get my favorite ice cream, a new picture of my nieces... 

And that's how this series on my blog was born. Each week, I highlight new items I've added to my list of one thousand gifts. These gifts aren't always big things. In fact, sometimes it's the littlest things that stick out the most. 

This week, I've added 11 new things...

#226 - visitors

My dad has been in and out of the hospital a lot while I've been in Senegal. And each time it makes me sad when I hear that my mom's alone there with him. Occasionally people will come and visit, but she spends the majority of the time there by herself. So it did my heart happy to be there with her this time. And then when his only visitors, some good family friends of ours, came and visited (and even brought supper one night), I could see her eyes light up a little more. It was so nice to see!

#227 - a good hospital cafeteria

We were in the hospital on July 4th, so that meant no yummy grilled goodness, like was originally planned. ...or so I thought. Y'all, this hospital has the best cafeteria food around! They had grilled hamburgers, grilled chicken, grilled ribs, and so on. And the part I was most happy about... They had the biggest and tastiest salad bar I think I've ever seen! :)

#228 - the sunset behind me


As I was driving home from the hospital one night, I looked in my driver's side mirror and saw the sunset behind me. It was so beautiful that I decided to take a picture. And it was at that moment, I felt the presence of God so strong, telling me that He put that beautiful sunset behind me to remind me that He was behind me every step of the way...that I didn't have to worry about my dad's health, my current financial situation, the unknowns for my future, anything... God is right there supporting me, taking care of my every step of the way.

#229 - a free pedicure

I love getting pedicures, but don't have the money to do so right now. So imagine my delight when a friend emails me, saying I want to treat you and your mom to something - either a pedicure or dinner. Since my mom doesn't share my fondness of pedicures, we chose our yummy 4th of July lunch there in the hospital, but there was enough leftover for me to go get myself a pedicure. Now I just have to find the time to do so...  :)

#230 - an upcoming trip

I leave on Tuesday going to Texas, thanks to having enough airline miles to get me a free trip! I'm so excited! I get to see one of my bestest friends! And I get to visit a part of my own country I've never been to before! I can't wait!

#231 - multiple "offices" with free wifi and large cups of ice water

Since my parents don't have internet at their house, I have to go elsewhere to do work on the internet. So I'm thankful for "offices," like these which let me buy lunch, complete with large cups of ice water, while I use their free wifi :)

#232 - gas for $3.26 a gallon

I never thought I'd be happy to see gas for that price, but after having it close to $4 a gallon near home for so long, I was ecstatic to see this price yesterday. ..especially since my car was almost on empty. Yay for saving money!

#233 - an unofficial answer to prayer

Since it won't be official 'til next week I can't tell you what exactly this answer to prayer is yet, but oh my word is it a big one! Thank you Jesus! P.S. I'll fill you in next week :)

#234 - a 75% off sale

After a meeting last week, I stopped in a store to just browse their clothing selections and was happy to see they were having a big 75% off (and more) sale that day. I walked out of there with a shirt, two skirts, and matching outfits for my nieces all for less than $20! Yay for sales!

#235 - my niece's love of Frozen

My oldest niece loves "Woff" (Olaf) from the movie, Frozen. She talks about him a LOT! So yesterday she comes to me and says Zizzie, Woff. I pointed to her poster on the wall of him and assured her that that was indeed him. She then says No Zizzie Woff and runs to the DVD case and grabs Frozen. So I spent the entire length of the movie with an excited 23 month old sitting in my lap watching this movie. And my favorite part? ...listening to her try her hardest to sing along with the characters during "Let It Go."

#236 - a renewed accent

Yesterday I was talking to a couple friends I hasn't spoken to in a while and one told me that my accent has gotten stronger. Apparently, my Southern twang had been renewed. ...and that made me smile :)

And if you'd like to see the other items on my list of one thousand gifts, just click on the links to those posts on the right of your screen.

No comments:

Post a Comment