Friday, March 27, 2015

What I wish I could say...

I've gotten better about speaking my mind in my old age. There are times when I'd really love to speak my mind, but as I've matured, I've realized it's not the best idea. 


But if God would have allowed me at certain times in my life, I would have definitely spoken my mind to certain people. 

People like...

...the lady who felt the need to say, "You know, you're not getting any younger. Don't you even want to get married?"


...the Red Cross nurse who said, "Ma'am, you clearly don't know much about geography because Ebola only happens in Africa. It'd be impossible for Ebola to happen in the U.S."


...the nurses at the long term rehab facility who told my mom, "Your husband's vitals are all normal. There's nothing wrong with him" a few hours before the ER doctor told her he had a highly contagious and serious infection and was incredibly sick and wouldn't have made it much longer if she'd waited to bring him in.


...the person who upon hearing I was going to Africa asked my dad, "Why doesn't she stay here? There are enough black people here in Alabama."


...the individual who after hearing me express how tired I was on a Friday afternoon who said, "I don't see why teachers complain. Y'all have it easy. You only work 7:30 to 3:30 and have all kinds of holidays off."


...the Post Office employee who said, "You can't mail jelly beans to Senegal. Customs has rules about that sort of thing. But if you want to risk it, then fine. We'll mail it."


...the people who say, "Teachers at Dakar Academy, and schools like it (who serve families of missionaries, embassy officials, and other businessmen/women) aren't REAL missionaries."


...the people who ask, "Do you speak African?" ...unless they're children and truly don't know any better. In that case, I'm fine with it :)


...the Africans who feel they're  complimenting me by saying, "Oh you're so big and healthy." And yes, this is a cultural thing and I totally learned to accept it. But it still stung a little. 



...the people who find out my younger brother is married and has two kids, and ask me, "What are you waiting for? You better hurry up."


...the customs agent who took my hand sanitizer, even though it was within the designated guidelines of size requirements and said, "Madam, this has alcohol in it. Alcohol is forbidden on flights."


...the orthopedic surgeon, who on my 18th birthday said, "You have wide hips. That's good if you plan to have children. Delivery should be no trouble for you.


...the lady who exclaimed to my cousin, upon hearing I was a missionary in Africa, "Wait. There are white people living in Africa???"


...the telemarketer that called our house at 9 p.m. one night and couldn't understand why we'd be upset about the timing of her call.


...the people who write those emails saying, "You've won $1,000,000. Just give me your bank account number and social security number and I'll wire the money to you ASAP."

No comments:

Post a Comment