Wednesday, February 10, 2016

Missions Q & A, Round 3

About 5 months ago I wrote my first Q & A post about missions (which you can read here). And then about a week and a half ago, I wrote my second Q & A post on the topic (which you can read here). I still had a few questions on the back burner, so to speak, so I knew I'd be writing this post soon. But I just didn't realize how soon :)

I've received at least one email a day since arriving last week about my life and ministry here in Senegal. So I thought I'd answer some of them today...


The most commonly asked question lately is...

How does it feel to be back?

Honestly, it feels normal. It feels like I'm home again. It really does.

What's been the best part?

I love being back at DA. I love being with old friends again. I love this place, the culture, the people... There's too much to list here :)

I know every day isn't a bed of roses. What's the worst part?

Hmm... It's supposed to be "Cool Season" right now, but it's so not. It's been in the high 80s or low 90s almost every day since I got back. And it's so ridiculously dusty. Ugh! Sand and dust EVERYWHERE! Say hello to dust and coughing lungs...

How many students do you have?

I have 10 students - 9 boys and 1 girl. I wrote a post about them yesterday. If you missed it, you should check it out here

Did you know any of your kids already?

Yes. I'd taught 2 of them before. And then I knew a few from Kids Club over the years.

What has surprised you the most?

There have been a few things. #1's answer has surprised me a little... Past that, I'm surprised at how exhausted I am after teaching all day. Teaching Special Ed in the States was super hard and FAR more work, but teaching the same group of kids ALL day is tiring (albeit, fun). Also, I'm surprised at all the new places (businesses/restaurants) that have popped up since I left. I'm surprised at all the American products you can get here now, too.

So you can get lots of American stuff now?

Yes. There are so many more things now. And even more stores carrying those products have opened up. I can't afford a lot of it because it's just so terribly expensive. BUT it is nice to know those things are there in case I need them.

Are many of your old friends there?

My "Best Bud" is back in the States. That's a bit of a bummer :( But, yes, there are a lot of my close friends still here. And the AG has boomed big time here in Senegal. We have a lot of AG missionaries here now. So that's nice!

How is fundraising going?

It's going okay. My cash money is almost completely raised. Once all promised donations hit my account, I'll only need a little over $1000. So that part is awesome! The monthly commitments are a slightly different story, though... I've had a lot promised, but unfortunately, many of those promises haven't been sent in yet. So until they reach my missions account in Springfield, MO, they don't count. So I still need a LOT for that. 

What is the best way to send you financial support?

The quickest way is by doing so online. Just click the link here and follow the prompts to give. You'll be able to choose if you want it to be a cash (one-time) donation or a recurring (monthly) commitment. By doing it this way, it'll reach my account in just a day or two.

If you'd prefer to do it, using pen and paper, go to the link here, print off the form, fill it out, adding in my name Elisabeth Nichols, my account number 2947943, and my region Senegal and mail it in to the address in the upper right corner of the form, along with your donation. By doing it this way, it'll reach my account in 2 to 3 weeks, depending on the speed of the mail.

Can you receive mail?

YES! Packages are appreciated, but they are very expensive. But a simple card or letter would cost only a little over $1.00. So mail away :) My address is:

Dakar Academy
Elisabeth Nichols
B.P. 3189
10200 Dakar, Senegal, West Africa

How can we be specifically praying for you?

Help me pray that my financial support gets raised. Help me pray against sickness and danger. Help me pray for patience and strength in working with my students (quite the hyperactive, squirrely bunch). And help me pray that I am a LIGHT in this DARK land I live in. 



No comments:

Post a Comment