Monday, February 29, 2016

Washing Their Feet

Yesterday, while browsing Facebook, I saw a friend had shared an article for teachers. It was entitled, Washing Students' Feet, and showed the picture below. I was intrigued and when I clicked it, I know it was something I wanted to share...



The premise of the article is that just as Jesus humbled Himself to serve others, so should we do the same for our students.

Even when they still don't get the chemistry lesson, even though you've taught it in so many different ways, you're out of new options...

Even when that same child yells out, without raising his hand, for the umpteenth time...

Even when you're called out of a meeting to deal with a child exhibiting poor behavior yet again...

Even when you're tired at the end of a long day, but you go watch the kids practicing ball because you know it brings a smile to their faces...

Even when they ask 4 zillion "Why" questions in an hour...

Even when you want nothing more than to go home, but a kid (in another class, no less) stops you on your way out to help with a homework assignment...

Even when you can list a million things to do on your Saturday off, but instead, you go to whatever event the kids are participating in to show your support...

Even when you get "volunteered" for an extra-curricular activity that you know nothing about... *Remind me to tell you the story of how my dad got volunteered to coach ladies' volleyball when he knew next to nothing about it. But how, in the end, he ended up loving it and some of those girls even wrote me after he died, telling me what an impact he'd made on their lives.

Even when you get paint on your brand new skirt, all because he, the one who usually does things all by himself, actually asked for your help...

Even when you're starving because you worked through your planning time and lunch break and you have to eat lunch at 5:00, on your drive home... *Praise the Lord, that hasn't happened here! :)

Even when you'd love nothing more than to eat your food while it's hot, but there are kids who need to be changed and fed and laid down for naps... 

Even when you've tried every single day to get that nonverbal child to just say "yes," but all you get is a smile...

Even when you feel like you can't take another step because you're hurting from walking so much on the field trip, but you stay upbeat and encourage the child on the walker to keep going...because after all, if she can do it, then who are you to complain?!

Even when you've finally got your rambunctious little angels finally settled down, but the fire drill alarm goes off and you know it's going to just hype them up again...

Even when you only have your kids for 30 minutes at a time and their teacher sends them late almost every day, and they're hyper and not focusing, and you just want to pull your hair out....

Even when the copier stops working and the printer's out of ink and the speakers stop working and anything else even remotely related to technology quits...

Even when the grading is piled up and you know you need to finish it, during your planning time, but one of your students comes in crying because someone said something mean to them on the playground...

Even when...

I could go on and on.

Teaching is hard work. There's a popular hashtag going around that says #teachingisnotforwimps and oh, how true that is.

But you know...

I can't think of a more rewarding job. I love what I do. I love falling into bed (sometimes literally), so incredibly exhausted, because of how much work I put into that day. I love being challenged to be the best teacher I possibly can be. I love planning lessons and activities to meet the individual needs of my students. I love exploring new ways to teach a boring old topic. I love seeing those "lightbulb" moments when a student finally gets what you've been working on for what seems like forever. I love advocating for my kids who need more help than they're receiving. I love collaborating with colleagues, working towards the same goal - meeting the needs of our kids. I love it all!

Teaching is my passion.

Teaching is my calling.

Teaching is a gift that I've been given. ...one where I can humble myself to serve those who've been placed in my care.

If I then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another’s feet. (John 13:14)

No comments:

Post a Comment