Thursday, May 12, 2016

Why Teach?

Happy Thursday Ladies and Gents. Today, I'm joining Annie from Home of Malones and Natalie from East Coast Chic for their Thoughts for Thursday link-up...

So, what's on my mind today? 

This question...


Why do I teach?

It's not for the money.

Teachers definitely do not make that much money.

It's not for the fame.

Teachers rarely get their names "in lights."

It's not for the summers off.

Although that is nice, teachers typically spend a LOT of time doing work related things in the summer, like working in their classrooms, lesson planning, curriculum mapping, shopping for school supplies, attending workshops/seminars/meetings/conferences, etc.

It's not for an easy, cushy job.

Teaching is not free babysitting. It's a lot of work...hard work. And it usually leaves most teachers utterly and completely exhausted by the end of the day.

It's not for a constant happy attitude.

Teachers deal with a lot. Teachers get emotionally involved in the lives of their students. Often, teachers are the support role for a child who's been abused/neglected. They're the shoulder to cry on for a child who's been bullied. They're the provider of snacks for a child who's hungry or a jacket for a child who's cold. They then have to somehow put their emotions in a box and go on teaching. 

So why do I do it?

I teach...


...to prove just how she smart she truly is to the little girl crying before school because she's scared her English isn't at the same level as her classmates...

...to show love to a child from a broken home who only sees positive role models at school.


...to teach the child who society says can't learn and thus, to prove society wrong.

...to advocate for a proper education for those who can't do so for themselves.

...to equip students with the skills/strategies necessary to function in the "real world."


...to help children see their true potential.

...to teach children the standards and strategies needed to progress up the educational ladder.

...to assist children who need a little extra TLC to make it through their day.

...to help a child reach those "lightbulb moments," where they finally get something they've been struggling with.

There are so many other reasons. I could go on and on and on...

But do you want to know the main reason I teach?

I teach because it's my passion.

I have never wanted to be anything different. 

For as long as I can remember, I have wanted to be a teacher. I've never wavered.

There are days I'm tired, when the paperwork is piled a mile high, technology quits on me, my planned lesson/activity doesn't work like I'd hoped, the kids are squirrely, and so on...

But none of that matters.

Why?

Teaching is my calling.

I am so very grateful that God allows me to follow this call.

What a blessing teaching truly is!

No comments:

Post a Comment