Saturday, July 9, 2016

Q & A - Heading Back Overseas

It seems like just yesterday I landed in Alabama, ready to tackle my summer. 

I knew I'd be a busy, but boy oh boy... 

I had know idea how much so. 

I have literally had only 2 days "off" and that was while I was in Missouri. 

 

Anywho... 

As it gets closer to time to head back, I keep answering many of the same questions. So I thought I would compile them and do a Q & A post on here.

And as a little FYI, in the spirit of total honesty... 

Yes, I honestly have been asked every single one of these questions more than once. 

I promise.

So here we go...

How long will you be gone?

I'm not sure if I'll be back for a quick visit at Christmas time or not. So it could be as soon as 5 months or as long as 11 months.

What is holding you back from making plans to come at Christmas?

Flights are expensive. And yes, I could afford to save the money up to come back. I just don't know if I could justify the expense "right away." We'll see...

It seems like you just got to Alabama. Why are you leaving so soon?!

You're right. I had/have 6 weeks from touchdown to takeoff. I'm heading back early to work with some pretty awesome kiddos with my organization.

How'd fundraising go?

I raised my full cash (one-time donations) budget fairly quickly. And I'm super close to having the monthly budget raised. I only need $300 more in monthly commitments and I'll be fully funded with AGWM. And if I'm being honest, I'm getting a bit desperate. I need this amount raised ASAP! So shameless plug time... Would you prayerfully consider partnering with me to raise this amount and helping me continue fulfilling the call and ministry God has placed on my heart? Send me an email at enichols85@gmail.com and I can get you set up to do that.

 

Now, enough about money... ;)

How will your job be different when you return to Senegal?

I'll still be at the same school. But I'll now be teaching 5th grade. And I'll also be helping out with ESL testing/placement since, at the moment, I'm the only one who knows how to give the tests. I love data and learning info like that! Oh and I will also be leading Kids Club again. I'm going to be busy. But I wouldn't have it any other way!

You moved apartments too, right?

Yes. I moved on campus. My commute every morning will now be AMAZING ;)

So what were the highlights of your time in the States?

Seeing family and friends, of course... But I think one of the best parts of my time here has been visiting churches and seeing so many people interested in missions! I love it!

I heard you had a rough time right after getting back here. Can I ask what happened?

My aunt passed away less than a week after I arrived back in the States. The issues surrounding her death were quite intense and caused a lot of misinformed people to say some really hurtful/untrue things about my family. It was a mess. But, as my mom said, we know the truth. And more importantly than that, God knows the truth. 

Wow. That was intense. How'd you go on and be so positive while speaking at churches and all so soon after that?

Honestly, it was a little hard. But y'all... I serve a big God. I may not always fully understand why bad and painful things happen in life, but I know God's always in control. I just have to trust in Him. So that's what I did.

What are some specific (maybe unique) ways God has blessed you the last few weeks?

Just to name a few... I had to have a rental car for my trip to KS and MO since my car couldn't have made that trip. Well, a supporting church found out how much it'd cost and paid for it for me. Another church gave me gift cards to use to buy goodies for the MKs I'll be working with in the program I'm doing when I first return to Dakar. A friend heard I wanted to buy a few essential oils from her and ended up giving them, and a whole bunch of others, to me for free! And while this last one may not seem like much, it was at the time... I'd had a particularly difficult, very emotional, day on my last day in MO. And that night, my mom and I went through the drive thru at Sonic. Well, when I got to the window, I found out that the car ahead of me had paid for my order. That little random act of kindness totally made my night. And these are only a few ways God has blessed me in my time home.

What have you learned about yourself this summer?

I've come to realize that I like to talk a big talk when it comes to fear and giving control over to God, but I'm not that good at actually putting my words into action. Fear is something I've always struggled with. But in the last 2 years, it's been so strong at times, I felt like it was totally gripping my heart, leaving me often sleeping with the lights on. And that's if I even slept at all. My sleep patterns have been so horrible! Then during the day, I'd be paranoid, always looking over my shoulder. Outwardly, I looked ok. No one knew I was dealing with this. But inwardly, I was a mess. Even I didn't realize how much so. Well, towards the end of last week, I was in a way, forced to deal with all of those deep down fear and other emotions. And it was painful. I cried. I talked. I cried some more. And you know what... I won't say I'm 100% "over it," but I am so very much better than I was before!

 

What have you learned about God this summer?

...that I serve a big, big God who loves me so much that He cares about the little - all the way to the big - things in my life. And yes, of course I have always known that. But y'all, I've seen God prove this so many times in the few weeks I've been home this summer.

Is it hard being a single woman going to the mission field?

At times, no. I don't have a husband or kids. I can just pack up and go. But y'all, I'd be lying if I said, I didn't wish I had a family to go with me. So if you know of any single guys who love Jesus, send them my way. Haha. Kidding...sort of :)

Online dating is the new "it" thing. Have you tried it?

It's quite pricey. And honestly, even if it wasn't... I just don't think it's for me. I still hold firm to a promise God gave to me many years ago that He'll send the right man my way when it's time. Will I still be in Dakar then? Will I be living back in Alabama? I honestly don't know. Either way, it'll be in God's perfect timing and will. And you know...I'm okay to wait on God.

Now, enough about my love life (or lack thereof). Here are a few more questions I received...

What song has been on "repeat" for you lately?

Have you heard "Lights Shine Bright" by tobyMac? One of my students actually was the one who told me about it. I love it!

 

What was the most commonly asked question you get?

Is it safe where you are?

Is it safe where you are?

At the moment, yes. Now let's pray it stays that way :) In all seriousness, I can't live my life in fear for my safety. I have to cling to the peace that can only come front above.

 

And with that, we'll end Q & A time :)

Have a question that wasn't answered?

Either add it in the comments section or send me an email at enichols85@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment