Saturday, July 30, 2016

7 Years

Dear 7 Years,

I just can't believe you're how long it's been since I landed in Senegal for the first time. If I close my eyes, I can picture myself, standing there in the customs line at the Dakar airport for the first time. My beginner level, truly basic French was so rusty, that I barely made it through, but I did. And then I headed outside, where I was greeted by my then roommate and our then school director. It was so encouraging to be welcomed by such kind smiles and waves.

I remember my first trip to the local grocery store and then the fruit/veggie vendor located outside. I remember trips to the fabric market and the tailor, trips to the souvenir market. I remember trips to Ebbets Field for days full of softball and the occasional purchase of American candy/soft drinks. I remember those first trips to the beach or to a hotel who'd let us pay for lunch and time by the pool. I remember first trips to restaurants that quickly became favorites - Le Recif for lotte brochettes avec frites or N'ice Cream for 2 scoops of obama. 

I remember visits to Senegalese church services that'd last for hours and hours in a language I didn't understand, yet all the while I'd feel the Spirit moving stronger than ever before, so I kept wanting to go back. I remember being invited to the pastor's home for a delicious local lunch made by his wife, and shared by everyone around a common bowl, sometimes eaten with a spoon and sometimes with our hands. I remember being given my Senegalese name and the pride the pastor felt in me now sharing their last name. 

I remember the school guards teaching me greetings in Wolof and being so patient with me as I failed miserably. I remember cups of hot and sugary attaya. I remember greeting the guards of the houses on my street, the lady who sold vegetables down from the school, and the local butik owner. I remember the guy who knocked on my door, wanting to sell me fish and the guy who pushed his fruit cart a little faster when he saw me coming, knowing I'd want some fresh fruit.

I remember walking into my classroom for the first time. I remember seeing those desks piled in the middle of the room, covered to protect them from the dust, and ready for me to arrange for the school year. I remember meeting co-workers who became more like friends or family than just random people I worked with. I remember that first group of students who quickly stole a piece of my heart - which ironically (or maybe not so much) happened a little more year after year with face after face that walked through my classroom doors.

I remember teaching 3rd grade, then 1st grade, then ESL, then 4th grade. I remember helping in the library and computer lab after school. I remember heading up Kids Club and hanging out with 60 to 70 kids each week, teaching them more about the Bible and the one true God. I remember tutoring and mentoring and encouraging students. I remember receiving hand-drawn pictures, coloring sheets, and thank you notes over the years. I remember meetings with parents and co-workers and anyone else necessary to best meet the needs of the students placed in my care.

I remember people back home in the States who wrote and encouraged me, who sent cards and packages and emails and I'm thinking about you's. I remember those who gave supplies and goodies and even whole suitcases. I remember those who supported me through prayers and finances. I remember sharing my heart for Dakar Academy and Senegal, in general, with churches and small groups and families and friends.

Has it all been easy? No, of course not. Do I remember some bad stuff...some sad stuff...some painful stuff? I do.

Do you know what I remember most?

Most of all, I remember how God has consistently shown Himself to me. I remember how God has consistently made His presence known in my life. He has loved me and guided me, taught me and nurtured me, encouraged me and molded me, protected me and calmed me. God has proved Himself over and over to me.

Will I be here forever? I honestly can't answer that. Only God can. But one thing I know for sure is that I've enjoyed the past 7 years (both here in Senegal and in the U.S.). And I can't wait to see what the next 7 years hold for me.

-Elisabeth

No comments:

Post a Comment