Monday, August 27, 2018

Philosophy of Teaching

Once upon a time (or maybe, just yesterday...), my professor gave my classmates and I the following prompt for our first Discussion Board Assignment...

In 250+ words, share your Philosophy of Teaching Special Education and share what your job is. Be sure to incorporate Scripture and your Biblical worldview.

So I did.

And as I clicked submit, I started to cry.

Seriously...

Full on tears.

Why? 

Because this is more than just my philosophy...

It's more than just my beliefs...

It's more than just 306 words typed in Times New Roman 12 pt. font.

It's my passion.

It's a gift.

It's my calling.

It's what God, Himself, has told me to do.

Want to know what I said?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Proverbs 31:8-9 commands us to "Speak up for the voiceless, for the rights of all who are destitute. Speak up and judge fairly; defend the rights of the poor and needy."

God laid this verse on my heart during the summer of 2016, with a goal of reaching a group of kids in my country of service. At this point, once they reached Middle School, these students, all with moderate to severe special needs, were being told that there was no schooling option available to them in our part of Senegal. Their families were having to leave the mission field. Or if they were not missionaries, they were having to leave the only opportunity of hearing the gospel. And I knew that this was due, mostly to the fact that we, at my school, did not have the manpower, nor the resources available to teach these students. But I could not get Proverbs 31:8-9 out of my heart. I knew God was calling me to teach these students.

So towards the start of the 2016-2017 school year, I headed into a series of 3 meetings with my school's director, and spoke up for these seemingly "voiceless" individuals. I took the opportunity to fight for the rights of a group of individuals who needed an advocate. I fought for the education of an incredible group of God's children. And after shedding many tears, and even harboring many doubts, wondering if it would ever actually happen, our school's director, finally said, "Yes."

I believe this back story is important to use in explaining my philosophy of teaching in the field of Special Education. My philosophy has always been to educate the ones God places in my care to the best of my ability. It does not matter where they come from, what their family looks like, what language they speak, how they act, or what background knowledge they have. We need to teach them to the best of our ability, meeting their needs. I believe that education is one of many tools our Heavenly Father uses to advance His Kingdom. And we, in the field of education, should fully embrace this calling God has placed on our lives, and work to the absolute best of our ability, to meet the needs of each and every student God places in our care.

Over time, God has expanded my philosophy of education to include the command in Proverbs 31:8-9. You see... My job as a Special Education Teacher has many parts.

I provide my students with the education they need and deserve.

I advocate for my students.

 I speak up on their behalf.

I fight for their rights.

I modify and accommodate.

I mentor.

I encourage.

I teach.

No comments:

Post a Comment