Friday, August 24, 2018

Welcome to My Classroom

Happy Friday Everybody

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Today, I'm joining ErikaAndrea, and Narci and for their weekly Friday Favorites linkup. Click one of their names to and join in on the fun.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
But instead of a long list of favorites, I'm sharing only two.

My first favorite is my classroom.

After all, it is the 7th day of school. 

It's time for a tour. 

Right? :)

But first, a little background, for those who may not know...

Back in November 2016, I wrote a post, in which I shared about how God used Proverbs 31:8 and a dream to reach a group of students in need (which you can read about HERE).


My classroom was originally a meeting/storage room at our school.

This is what it looked like before I started setting up last school year.


There's nothing like a blank canvas to start with.

And then in August 2017, I shared (HERE) a look at it all set up. I also may or may not have teared up many times this past year at how God provided.

And while I'd love to say that my class will be around forever and ever.

And now fast forward to the present.

Ready for a tour?

Welcome to my room. 

 
This is the place where I spend the bulk of my time during the school year. My goal is for my students to view this room as a warm, inviting room, full of encouragement and love. I want them to see this room as a place where they're free to be themselves, to learn how best they can. I want them to be free to move and play, to sit or stand or pace back and forth, whatever they need to do to help them learn. I want them to laugh and have fun, to learn all the usual academics, but also life skills and social skills. I want them to be prepared to leave our school and head back to whatever country they are from, ready to be productive members of society. And more than anything, I want them to grow in their spiritual walk with the Lord. I want my kids to know that I love them so incredibly much. But more than me... I want them to realize/feel the immeasurable love of our Heavenly Father.

Here's what it looked like when I got here at the end of the Summer.


 

Then, here it was on the first day of school.


And for a closer look, here are the different areas of our classroom...

We have a nice "comfy seating" area, complete with different camping chairs, fun cushions, wiggle/sensory seats, and even "friends" to read to/with :)


We have a set of bookshelves, loaded with all sorts of books to read, whether that be our Bibles, dictionaries, novel sets, or just books "for fun." This is also where we keep our board games, card games, and a few other fun supplies.



We also have another set of shelves, full of fun manipulatives to help us learn the various subjects we'll be learning this year.


Up towards the front of the room is another cabinet with a few supplies and other things I'd prefer to be closed away. On the window to the side (since I don't have any bulletin boards) is my Science "board." And on top of the cabinet, you can see our Captain Letter Pie, who I heard about at a Teacher Conference I attended this past summer. This activity set is going to be a really, really fun addition to our literacy learning. I can't wait to surprise my kids with him one day.


We have a few different seating options.

There's a kidney, or "U" shaped table for group discussions.

 
There's also some traditional student desks. I put a group of 4 together to use as another "small group" area. Then I put the other two student desks over by the window for 1) a place to do independent/partner work and 2) another option for a student needing to work with a teacher.


At the front of the room is our clock and alphabet. I love these English/ASL alphabet cards. As for the clock, I got it at a local store last school year, immediately falling in love with his bright colors on the face.


On the board is our Behavior Info. In this little section, I included our 3 rules, Rewards list, and Consequences list. I also included our class Behavior Contract, which basically states that by signing it, the student promises to obey the rules and if they do, they'll get rewards and if they don't, they'll get consequences. Then on the first day of school, each child signed the contract.


Next up, is my desk area. 

I have had students sit/work at my desk far more than I have done so far this school year. I don't have time to sit there during the day at all. And during my prep/lunch break, I escape to the teacher's lounge, so I can work/eat at the same time (and have a bit of quiet time, too). Then after school, I just work at the big kidney / "U" shaped table so I can sit with my feet propped up on a kid's chair while I work :)


I just love all the bright colors in my room. It's so fun and festive. It makes me smile every morning, when I walk in. And my kids love it, too. So win win! :)


This "team" I work with is amazing, y'all. My class is considered Self-Contained Special Education. And unlike in the States, I have a wide range of ages/grade levels in my room, all together. By the time the last one comes in January, I'll have 9 students (Kindergarten, 1st grade, 5th grade, 7th grade, and 10th grade). 

But thankfully, I'm not alone this year. I have an AMAZINGLY WONDERFUL woman working with me this year. We divide and conquer, so to speak, each taking a group of kids and teaching a lesson, or supervising a discussion or activity. My kids love her. I love her. She's great! So, so great! We're all blessed!


This class of mine (the 7 pictured below, plus the 2 more coming later) are a gift. And I am so thankful that God is allowing me to work with them this year. 

And yes...

My second favorite of the week are my students.

They are most definitely my favorites :)



1 comment:

  1. I love your classroom. What a great, inclusive spot for every student to learn.

    ReplyDelete