Saturday, April 10, 2010

Driving and God

I learned to drive when I was 15. I remember riding around the parking lot at the church with my mom, learning the basic skills needed to drive an automatic. I loved driving! I was so happy when I got my learner's permit and I would beg my mom to let me drive her to the store, to the school, anywhere just so I could drive. I loved it when I saw my schedule 10th grade year and saw it had Driver's Ed. on it. I thought I was in Heaven. I could go to school and drive there too! It was awesome! When I turned 16, my mom took me to get my driver's license. The third time’s the charm, right? After the third attempt, I finally possessed that wonderful card. After an unsuccessful attempt (due to my inherited strong will and occasional stubbornness) at learning to drive a standard from my dad, I decided I would stay in my comfort zone, and only drive automatics. I knew automatics. I knew they were easy. Life would be simple.

Then…

God called me to Africa. …more specifically, to Senegal, the land of non-automatic cars. Upon arrival, I realized that my choosing to not learn how to drive a standard created a problem. I would have to become dependent on others. If I wanted or needed to go anywhere farther than my legs could take me, I’d have to ask someone to take me. And I did that. I would either wait until someone was going that way or if I absolutely had to, I’d ask someone to drive me somewhere. It’s hard asking for help. It’s hard going from being totally independent to being totally dependent. Plus, my biggest stress reliever used to be getting in the car and driving…with no particular destination even in mind. …just get away from it all. And here, I can’t do that. I’m out of my comfort zone. And let me tell you…it’s hard sometimes.

But then…

A friend offered to take me for a driving lesson here. On the one hand, I was excited. I would finally start learning how to drive a stick. But on the other hand, I was nervous. What if I messed up? What if I couldn’t handle using a clutch? What if I stalled out? What if I got nervous while driving? What if I got frustrated? What if…and the list went on. The day (today) came. And you know what… I messed up quite a few times. I kept forgetting to push the clutch all the way in. I stalled out twice. And I did get nervous and frustrated with myself at times. But all in all, I did ok. I wouldn’t say great by any means, but I did ok. And I didn’t totally freak out my “teacher” …probably only just a little. :)

So…

My point is this… Sometimes we get stuck in a rut. We get stuck in our comfort zones, where everything is easy and comfortable. And we just stay where we are. We don’t try new things because *gasp* it might be hard. We only drive automatics because they’re easy. :)

But…

That’s not always what God wants. I truly believe that God wants us to (in the words of some song) step out of our comfort zones into the unknown. We need to learn to rely on God. And sometimes that means doing things that are a little “scary” or “nerve-racking” (like driving a stick). So, my second point is... Don’t get stuck at a point in your life where you feel that life is going to easily and perfectly that you don’t need to rely on God. Always rely on God. Always put your trust in Him. Never become so confident in yourself that you lose confidence in Him.

Here I am not long after I got my license, driving my first car (an automatic, of course.)

Here I am learning to drive a stick for the first time -- at the "Cow Crossing." :)

1 comment: