Wednesday, August 10, 2016

It's Salsa Time!

My absolute most favorite type (genre? ethnicity?) of food is Mexican food. 

I could eat it every day and I honestly don't think I'd ever get tired of it.

I was hungry for some salsa the other day, and didn't want to pay the overpriced cost of a jar of the good stuff from the American Food Store (yes, that really is its name). So I decided to make my own. 

Thus, this post was born ;)

 

It was super easy and quick to make, and not to brag, but it tasted amazing. And it's taking some major restraint this week not to eat it all in one sitting. 

Ah, willpower, why do you have to be so difficult sometimes? ;)

Anywho, on to the super easy recipe...

First, I cut up some onions.

 

Side note... I may or may not have left the room after the onion cutting to give my eyes a break. I have never been able to cut an onion without it burning my eyes and making me "cry." I've tried every "home remedy" I've heard, but to no avail...

Oh well. That's life, I suppose. Anywho, after I returned, I cut up the tomatoes.

 

I then cut up the green bell peppers.

 

Next, I cut up the garlic. 

 

Next I grabbed these bad boys...

 

I removed the seeds, since I don't feel the need to set my mouth on fire, and I cut them up.

 

Side note... After adding these to the blender, I washed my hands really well, as I was afraid I'd have leftover hot pepper residue on my hands. Obviously, I didn't wash my hands well enough because a few minutes later, I wiped the sweat on my face and immediately my face started burning. Fun times, y'all. Let me tell ya.

Ok, back to the recipe...

After the hot peppers, I added salt, black pepper, and cilantro. 

 

Ideally, I would've used fresh cilantro. But alas, I've checked at least 4 different places this week, and they've all been out of it. 

So jarred cilantro, for the win ;)

After that I added some plain tomato sauce and a little oil to the blender and then turned it on and let it work its magic.

I also may or may not have forgotten to take a picture of this step. But I think we're ok. Just use your imagination.

After a minute-ish, I turned off the blender and voila

I had delicious homemade salsa!

 

Oh, one more thing...

In case you're wondering... 

I didn't include the number of veggies I used because I forgot to count all of them. 

I just eyeballed it and used equal amounts of tomatoes, onions, and bell peppers. 

I then used probably 6 or 8 cloves of garlic and 2 of the hot peppers. 

As for the salt, pepper, and cilantro... I used approximately 1 tablespoon, or maybe a little bit more, of each.

And I used just a tiny bit of oil and enough tomato sauce to give the necessary liquid the blender needed to work its magic.

Have I mentioned that I'm horrible at following and giving recipes?

If not... Well now you know :)

Feel free to copy my awesome recipe. 

Just let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment