Wednesday, August 17, 2016

Welcome to My Classroom

Welcome to my home away from home for the 2016-2017 school year. Room A7 is officially open for learning ;)


When I found out our 5th Grade teacher would be taking a year off, I was sad. But, at the same time, I happily jumped at the chance to stay with my crew and move up with them.  

As time went on, I learned more about my squirrely crew and about the new kids that would be joining the mix and I quickly realized that teaching this class God was blessing me with would definitely not by any means, be a boring job. This class has, by far, the widest range of ability levels and widest range of English fluency of all the classes I've taught over the years.

I know it will be a challenge.

...a good challenge

...but a challenge nonetheless.


But do you want to know something?

I love a good challenge.

And I'm ready for what's coming my way. I have studied and prepared. I've researched and worked during the summer. 


I've planned our daily schedules. And I've arranged their desks, praying over every single one.


I've chosen class jobs, with my kids in mind. My goal is that these "jobs" will teach my crew skills like leadership and citizenship and communication and how to have a servant's heart.


Our class decor "theme" is Rockstars. I want my 5th graders, upon entering this room, to realize that they are, indeed, Rockstars. They are smart and talented and creative and gifted in their own unique ways. They are fearfully and wonderfully made and they are royalty because they're children of the King. And in my book, that makes them Rockstars :)


We will also have fun with the Rockstars theme at times, realizing that sometimes our brains just need a break from learning and that laughter is good for the soul. And we will also learn to embrace our differences, our families' cultures and languages, our uniqueness. After all, that's what good Rockstars do ;)

Displaying IMG_1002.JPG

I will encourage their already huge, insatiable love of reading.

Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg

I will encourage their love of art and writing and just creativity, in general. I will encourage their love of questioning and research and even their love of asking "why" and "how" a zillion times a day. I will encourage their love of technology, (educational) games, and music.

I will use the cooperative learning strategy to teach many of our subjects, offering students more time in areas where needed and less where not.

Displaying FullSizeRender.jpg

I will offer students time for advancement and challenging themselves in individualized areas. We'll have a weekly Imagination Station, where we do just what the name implies... Imagine.

I will spend very little time during the school day at this desk, but will use it wisely during break times and before/after school to plan/prepare how to best meet the needs of each of the students placed in my care.

Displaying IMG_1004.JPG

I will make it my mission to be organized this year...to keep everything contained in my Binder of Awesomeness :) And hopefully, I will be leading by example, since my 5th graders will ideally be doing the same thing with their own binders of awesomeness.


I will learn all I can about my students, using the information I gather to be a better teacher, mentor, and encourager. I will also utilize the resources at our disposal, inviting parents to come and teach us about their home countries, cultures, languages, jobs, etc. 


I will guide my students, using rules associated with the Word of God. And I will spend more time focusing on the rewarding of good/positive behavior and less time focusing on the punishing of bad/negative behavior.


I am blessed that God chose me to teach these the students who walked through the door of my room this morning. I will take my passion for teaching and use it to the very best of my ability.

I, with God's help of course, will work my absolute hardest to make this classroom and its 2016-2017 school year's occupants the best they can be. 

No comments:

Post a Comment