Tuesday, August 2, 2016

July 2016 Reading

I've always loved to read. I remember as clear as day, as a little girl, sitting there holding a book and pretending to read. I hadn't even started school yet. But even at such a young age, I truly loved books. 


I've read a few books this month. 

So, in order to keep track of what I read, and to maybe offer suggestions to others, I thought I'd recap what I've read this month here on the blog...

*one*


 

I'm not quite finished with this book, but I still chose to include it. 
The author uses Scripture and his own experiences with other cultures/religions, to show the uniqueness of the God of the Bible - the one true God, in that He is willing to be near us even when we're in the middle of our messes. He shows how Jesus didn't only associate with the rich and wealthy and "clean." He also hung out with the poor and the ones with "dirty" feet. Jesus went down to the trenches, so to speak, to offer hope and grace to those who needed it most. And He still does that today. 


I have to admit. It was the cover/title that piqued my interest. And I am so glad it did. This isn't a quick read. At least, it's not for me. This is a book full of information to study and think on, highlight, make notes, etc. It's changed the way I look at my own life and ministry. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone.

*two*


 

The main character in this book is living the life of ease and enjoyment, as she calls it, with a great job as an artist, a great boyfriend. And she just happens to be Deaf. Her world is shattered when she finds out that she has an identical twin sister, who didn't grow up in an orphanage like her and who went through life hearing everything around her. She's not bitter. She is incredibly happy with her life now (every aspect of it). ...just confused at what led their parents to make the decision to split the girls up all those years ago.

This was an enjoyable book to read. I think the author did a great job of describing aspects of the cultural differences of both the Deaf and the Hearing. And the storyline had so many twists and turns throughout.

*three*


 

I picked up this book at a thrift store back home because it was cheap and looked kind of interesting. 

The main character is heartbroken when her husband dies unexpectedly one summer day. To somehow ease her broken heart, she starts calling his voicemail, just so she can hear his voice say "Hello, it's me." 

What gets weird in the book is that, at some point, she starts receiving calls from "him," giving her advice on different areas of life. Take this job. Do this activity with the kids. Date again. 

It's clearly a little out there. Honestly, it's the perfect "escape" type of book. It's  good for when you just want a mindless book to read - something that won't make you think too hard. It's interesting, but would I ever read it again or would I recommend it to others? Doubtful.

*four*


 

This book was a spur of the moment find in the school library the other day. It's written by a (then) 13 year old Japanese boy and answers all sorts of questions about what it's like for someone with severe Autism. What I like is tha Higashida is an expert on this. Why? It's his life. He has Autism.

This book is, in my opinion, a must read for anyone related to or working with a person with Autism. It answers so many questions that typically developing people have for people with Autism. 

I loved this book and will definitely be purchasing it for my own personal collection soon. 

The books I'm planning to read in August are...


...along with a few other random titles I've seen in the school library I think I'll check out. We're blessed to have such an extensive library here. There are books for the youngest of readers all the way up to the oldest adults. I love it!

So what are you reading this month?

No comments:

Post a Comment