Wednesday, August 24, 2016

What They Wish I Knew

A few years back I saw an article online which told how a teacher had asked her class to anonymously answer the following question...

What do you wish your teacher knew about you?

It was a way for the teacher to learn more about her students, their backgrounds, etc. And she was able to do so more easily, because the kids weren't afraid of anyone knowing what they were writing.

She then took their answers and used them to better herself , to help open her eyes to the issues her students faced, and to become a better teacher for those kids.

I don't remember where I found the article, but I know it has definitely stuck with me all this time. So I decided to "borrow" her idea.

The other day I sent a writing assignment home with my students, where I asked them to answer the following question...

What do I wish Ms Nichols knew about me?

I gave them plenty of room to answer the question and gave them an envelope to place their papers in and then seal so to keep their answers anonymous.

I finally read their answers the other night and came away, having learned so much...

Some of their answers were funny.

Some were serious.

Some surprised me.

And some... 

Some broke my heart and even made me cry.

But you know...

I took each one seriously. 

And I prayed (and am still praying) that God will help me use these handwritten lists to be the best teacher I can possibly be for each and every one of these kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment