Friday, April 19, 2019

Favorite Memories of My Dad

The next few days are always hard for me.

4 years ago...

My dad passed away on April 19th.
His birthday is on the 20th.
The viewing was on the 21st.
And his funeral was on the 22nd.
Then, my parents' anniversary is on the 28th.

Sometimes it's hard to believe that it's been 4 years. And then, there are other times when the fresh pain from that immediate wave of grief that came after his death grips my heart in a way I cannot explain.

I am so incredibly grateful for the relationship my dad had with our Savior. I love knowing that He and Jesus are hanging out in Heaven today. In fact, the picture of my dad in a completely healthy body, walking and talking with Jesus, is the one I try to think of when waves of sadness hits. 

Today, in honor of the 4th anniversary, I'm sharing some of my most favorite memories and pictures of my dad.

 

I love the pictures below. My dad was in a long term rehab facility not long before he died, and my brother and sister-in-law brought my nieces in to visit him. These pictures are definite favorites of mine. ...especially the one of my youngest niece looking up at her Pawpaw with such attentive eyes.

Image may contain: 2 people Image may contain: 1 person

My dad spent some time in the Navy. He was quite proud of that time, especially knowing he was able to help fight for the country he so dearly loved. He was proud of 



And speaking of the Navy... One of my all time favorite memories of my dad is of the Navy vs South Alabama football game that he and I got to go watch about 4 or 5 months before he passed away. That is such a special memory for me.



I loved going on Daddy Daughter dates with him, whether that was to see a movie or going out to eat at a favorite restaurant or even going to Starbucks for a cup of hot chocolate (since neither of us liked coffee).



My dad loved his family so much. And while I know he loved my brother and me, let's face it... This man was meant to be a Pawpaw. So when my two nieces were born, he was over the moon for sure :)

 

I remember so many times, my dad getting down on on the floor with my brother and me, coloring, playing with dolls or GI Joes, playing video games, or reading us a story. He was always up for having fun.



He loved my Mama so much, too. And this year (in just a little over a week from today, actually), they would've been married 35 years. 



But more than his family, he loved his Savior. And for that (and the legacy he left us all as a result), I am so very grateful. My dad loved being a pastor. He loved to preach. And he was one of the best. Whether it was in a fancy sanctuary in a church building or standing on the tail gate of his truck at a community wide service, if he was preaching, he was in his element. In fact, his last sermon was a message from his hospital bed. What a great legacy/memory!



My dad was always supportive and encouraging of my mom, my brother, and me. He was an amazing man. And I feel so blessed to have had the 29 years I had with him. And while I do definitely miss him so incredibly much, I am so glad he's in Heaven with his Savior, hanging out with Jesus, and no longer sick or hurting.



I miss you Daddio.

And just for fun... Here's one more picture of us 34 years ago :)

 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Today, I'm joining ErikaAndrea, and Narci and for their weekly Friday Favorites linkup. Click one of their names to and join the fun

No comments:

Post a Comment