Monday, April 22, 2019

Reading Recap

Happy Monday Everyone

 Today I thought I'd share a little reading recap.


For Fun

I have 3 "for fun" books to share this time around...

I read The Tattooist of Auschwitz by Heather Morris and The Proposal by Jasmine Guillory. The first was absolutely amazing. I'd recommend it to anyone! The second was a good, guilty pleasure type read - mindless reading after a long day, kind of thing. But it wasn't the best ever.




And yesterday evening, I started reading Nell and Lady by Ashley Farley and am halfway through it now. Even though I'm only half done, I can tell I'm going to really like it. It's a good one, for sure.



For My Classes (as a student)

I continued reading the 3 required texts for my Emotional and Behavioral Disorders class Characteristics of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders of Children and Youth and Cases in Emotional and Behavioral Disorders of Children and Youth, and Lost at School by Ross Greene. But I also read one more...

I read Lost and Found, which is a sequel to Lost at School by Ross Greene. Both of Dr. Greene's books were good. I'd definitely recommend them to anyone working in the field of education, especially if they are encountering behaviorally challenging students. And let's face it... That's pretty much in all schools.


For Teaching

I read The Math Handbook by Helmy Faber and then passed it along to a student at our school. It's such a neat book, full of "cheat sheets" / study tools to help kids who struggle a bit more than others in Math. 


For Spiritual Growth


I finished Holy Hustle by Crystal Stine, which I shared about in last month's post. But I must admit... The beginning was good. But past that, it was kind of bleh. I wasn't as impressed by the rest. But such is life...

Anywho, past that one, I also read True Community by Jerry Bridges. I can't say I truly enjoyed the entire thing. It was okay. But just that... Okay.


I haven't really had that great of luck in this category this time around, which is a bit sad. But that's okay. I just started re-reading one that I know for a fact is a good one. I'll share more about it in my next Reading Recap post next month.

What My Students Are Reading

With one of my students, I used The Day the Crayons Quit and The Day the Crayons Came Home, both by Drew Daywalt and Oliver Jeffers, as our intro to a unit on letter writing. I love the bright colors and fun content in these books. They're such fun books for kids!


And then in Kids Club, we read a super cute book about Easter - Easter is Coming! by Tama Fortner - which I picked up while in the US over Spring Break. It was geared more towards younger kids, but I had a great discussion with all of them (even the older ones in Kids Club) about the anticipation we have for Easter goes along with the hope we have for the coming of our Savior and for eternal life with Him one day.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
And in case you're interested...

Here are my previous Reading Recap from earlier in the year.

February

March 

No comments:

Post a Comment