Friday, October 11, 2019

Jesus wept.


Jesus wept.

Two simple words.

Yet, no matter how simple they may be, they're also quite powerful.

Jesus wept.

In John 11, we start off reading about how sick Lazarus was. Lazarus' sisters were, understandably, worried. So they sent for Jesus. In verse 4, we read that Jesus,  responded, "This illness does not lead to death. It is for the glory of God, so that the Son of God may be glorified through it."

Jesus acknowledges that Lazarus is sick. 

But that's just it.


He's just sick. He's not going to die.
- per Jesus' own words

Eventually, Jesus made His way to Mary and Martha and Lazarus. 

In verses 14 and 15, we read Jesus' words to His disciples... "Lazarus has died, and for your sake I am glad that I was not there, so that you may believe..."

At this point, Jesus knows Lazarus is dead.

But Jesus also knows that Lazarus will live again.

In fact, a few verses prior (verse 11), Jesus had told His disciples "Our friend Lazarus has fallen asleep, but I go to awaken him."

Eventually, Jesus has made His way to where they were. And at this point, both Martha, and later Mary, told Jesus...

"Lord, if you had been here, my brother would not have died."

And at verse 35, we see that powerful, 2-word, verse...

"Jesus wept."

This is a key verse.

Think about it this way...

This short, two-word sentence holds quite the emphatic point.

It could have easily been joined with the verse before/after it.

But, there it is, standing alone...

Jesus wept.

 There is something profound about the act of Jesus weeping.

There are multiple reasons to explain why Jesus wept.

Whatever the reason, though, it shows one thing...

Jesus cared.

And yes, Jesus did, in fact, go on to raise Lazarus from the dead - just as He had said would happen towards the beginning of this chapter.

So what's the point of this post?

There's a lot of pain and hurting in the world.

In the last few months, I've heard of so many family, friends, students, and co-workers whose loved ones have passed away.

I know people who are struggling with a number of issues.

I know people who have lost their jobs.

I know people who are battling major illnesses.

I know people who are spreading the gospel in dangerous locations.

 And a few nights ago, as I (figuratively) cried out to God, praying for so many of those people mentioned above, I asked why...

Why do we have to deal with this stuff?

Why can't life be easier?

Why can't we NOT have to deal with the sad/scary stuff?

Why is there a life with tears? 

And yes, I realize the silliness of that. 

But, it was at that moment that God so sweetly spoke to me, saying...

Jesus wept.

Jesus wept. 

Jesus acknowledged the emotions of the moment and He wept.

So why can't we weep over the things that make us sad?

 And yes, I know we can learn from these things. I know we can see God's hand at work in these things. I know we can see God's love, even in the middle of the painful times. I truly do know all of these things.

But I also know that sometimes, it's okay if before we learn the lesson we're to learn, we go ahead and weep as a result of those big emotions. After all...

Jesus wept.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

FYI ... I use the English Standard Version (ESV) for all scripture references in this post. Also, I feel like I should say that I am, by no means, a Biblical scholar. I'm just a person who loves reading the Bible and loves learning what I can from God through the pages in His Word.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Today, I'm joining ErikaAndrea, and Narci and for their weekly Friday Favorites linkup, even if I am a day late. I just thought it'd be fun to share some a bit about a lesson I'm learning from my favorite book of all time - The Bible.

Click one of their names to and join the favorites fun, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment