Monday, October 7, 2019

Impactful Books

 

On the first Monday of each month, I share a bit of gratitude here on the blog. Sometimes I share gratitude for a certain person or a certain thing. Sometimes I share a random list. And sometimes, I share a lesson God is teaching me. Today, it is all about impactful books, for which I am grateful.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Last week, in a meeting, we were asked to name a book that's made an impact on our lives. And of course, the Bible has impacted my life, in more ways than I could ever ever truly explain. But our principal asked us to not give it as our answer. Why? We're all Christians. So we know the Bible has obviously impacted all of our lives :)

 I'm not the best with "on the spot" answers. I typically need time to think and process. So while I gave one that had, indeed, impacted my life, I later thought of so many others that have impacted me in big, big ways over the years...

Thus, this post was born.


So, in no particular order, here are 5 books (in no particular order) which have impacted my life in some way...

~ one ~ 

The Life of Aimee Semple McPherson




My dad was a pastor for the majority of my life. And, even as a young girl, I always loved browsing the books on his shelves, grabbing one and reading it, asking questions as I read, learning from my dad about the Bible, Christianity, and what we believed (and why). Want to know one of the things that I miss the most now that my dad has passed away? I miss being able to call/email him and ask a question. Even this past week, I had a few questions, based on a book I'm reading, and I found myself picking up the phone to call him. Y'all... He's been dead for 4 1/2 years, but I still, in that moment, found myself accidentally picking up the phone to call him and learn from him again.

This book about Aimee Semple McPherson was one I got from my dad's bookshelves. I remember sitting on the floor of his office as an 11 or 12 year old, reading this book cover to cover one Saturday morning. I then took it home and I have re-read it a dozen or so times over the years. 

But back to that first time reading it...  I remember being fascinated by McPherson's life. I remember feeling God stirring something in my heart. And at that age, God birthed in me, a heart for missions. He hadn't yet called me to be a missionary. But from that point, I knew I had to do something. Whether it was praying for missionaries, supporting them financially, or just intently listening to and learning from them when they came and spoke at our church. 

I truly believe that God led me to read this book about Aimee Semple McPherson's life when I was 11 or 12 years old as a way to prepare me to become a missionary, myself, one day. 

~ two ~

The Education of Laura Bridgman


I read this book my freshman year of college. I still remember sitting in the University of Montevallo's library, reading that book, cover to cover, one afternoon after classes. I read it because we had to write a biography of someone who had overcome obstacles in life. Bridgman was both deaf and blind. And she was around long before Helen Keller. But unlike Keller, she didn't receive the notoriety. 

Up until that point, I'd planned to be an elementary teacher. It's what I'd always wanted to become. But after I left the library that day, I spent a good bit of time, sitting in my car, thinking about my future. And it was on that day that I realized I was meant to be a Special Education teacher. So the next morning, I went to the Education Department's office and made the official change to allow me to major in both Elementary Ed and Special Ed. 

Special Education had always intrigued me. My childhood was impacted by family members and friends with disabilities (whose stories/details I will not share publicly). So the idea to go into that field had always been in the back of my mind. But, it was reading The Education of Laura Bridgman that impacted me so greatly, that it caused me to officially change the course of my educational future.

~ three ~

Hiroshima



 English was always my most favorite subject. History (Social Studies) was a close second. I have always loved reading. And non-fiction pieces have always been my favorite types of reads. So when my 12th grade English teacher had us write our senior research paper (our first "really big" writing assignment), I knew I wanted the topic to be something history-related. 

Enter the bombing of Hiroshima. 

I remember reading book after book about Hiroshima. But it was Hersey's book that impacted me the most. I remember reading this book, full of accounts from survivors, historical data, and so much more on this huge event in our history. I remember the pain in my heart. I remember how heavily this story impacted me. 

I had always like assignments that involved writing. But I remember how this book changed my view on writing, causing me to absolutely fall in love with writing. I remember that even though Hersey's book was full of emotionally hard information to read, it was still an easy read. And I remember thinking... This book has made me want to write. 

I love sharing information through writing. I love sharing my thoughts and feelings through writing. I love journaling. I love taking notes. I love blogging. I just really, really love writing. And I honestly believe that it was Hersey's book (and the assignment, in which I used his book in my research) that impacted my heart so much and made me fall in love with writing.


~ four ~


Through the Gates of Splendor



I re-read Elisabeth Elliot's book, Through the Gates of Splendor, when I was in college. I remember deciding to read it because The End of the Spear was set to come out in theaters that year. I wanted to read the book again, to prepare myself before watching the movie.

This book, which I'd read before, shook me to my core this (that) time around. At this point, God had already called me to the mission field. And I remember telling a then friend all about the book. I remember telling him that I can't imagine a greater story. These guys died while working to share the love of Jesus with people who had literally never heard of Him. And all those years later, those people came to know/love Jesus, all because of the work God did through those men they'd killed and their family members who never gave up on them. I remember, walking through the Tuscaloosa, AL K-Mart (yep, K-mart) and going on and on about this book. Then I remember my friend telling me I was crazy. 

And I remember, as clear as day, at that very moment, hearing God speak to my heart and say... Elisabeth, are you willing to follow me to the ends of the earth? Are you willing to follow my call, no matter what? God did something in my heart that day. And it all started with Him leading me to re-read Elliot's book.

~ five ~

The Freedom Writers Diary


I read The Freedom Writers Diary about 7 years ago, while working on my (first) Master's degree. We were required to watch the movie for one of the classes I was taking. And per my usual, if there's a book version, I will always read the book before watching the movie. 

I remember that I spent all day one Saturday reading that book. I couldn't put it down. I got finished reading it and then watched the movie for my assignment. And then I remember thinking... I want to be like the teacher in this story. I want to teach the kids who society casts aside as being "un-learnable" and "un-reachable" and "un-teachable." I want to teach the kids who are labeled as the "hard kids," the ones who are "difficult to teach."

 And I've done that. I've taught kids with major behavior/emotional disorders. I've taught kids who come from home lives so incredibly difficult, that you'd be shocked. I've taught kids who have experienced the unthinkable - acts that made me drive home from work and cry my whole drive home. I've taught (and still teach) kids with moderate to severe special needs who have literally no other schooling option in our part of the world. I've taught (and still teach) kids who struggle with symptoms of disabilities that simply do not make sense to most of the world. Any do you want to know something? I love it. I love teaching these "hard" kids. I absolutely love it!

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

There are so many more books I could list here. 

Books on my beliefs as a Christian...

As an AGWM missionary...

As a teacher...

As a person, in general...

There are so many more books which have impacted my life over the years. And I'm sure there will be even more as the years go by. 

But I'll stop with these.
  
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I started my monthly Growing in Gratitude posts, as part of the link-up fun, hosted by Julie from Fall into Life, where bloggers would share a bit of gratitude each month. Julie stopped hosting the link-up this past summer. But I decided to keep posting a monthly gratitude-themed post. After all, there's always something for which we can be grateful. Right? :)

Anywho, in case you missed my previous month's posts...


You can click below to read them.

February - My Why

March - Photos from February  

April - Random List of Gratitude 


May - Lessons Learned


June - The 2018-2019 School Year


July - Random Bits of Gratitude


 August - 34 Reasons Why I'm Grateful

September - Hope 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


So what about YOU? 

What are you grateful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment