Thursday, October 10, 2019

Thoughts on a Thursday

Happy Thursday Y'all

I thought I'd share a few things that are on my mind at the moment.


~ one ~

This week is Senegalese Appreciation Week at my school. It's such a great reminder of a lot of the good that this country we all call "home" has to offer. It's a nice time to step back and be reminded of what we love most about Senegal. Plus, it makes for a week full of fun activities for our students and staff. I'm so thankful for the years I've lived in Senegal. I definitely appreciate this adopted "home" of mine :)


~ two ~

One of my students has a class period where it's just me and him. Due to a school-wide schedule change, we couldn't do what we'd originally planned. So he asked if we could go to the library and read. So that we did for the last half of our class time together. We sat on the comfy couch and he read through his entire book of Star Wars characters to me. And when we left the library, he hugged me and then said he had the "best time ever." I realize this is so small, in the scheme of things. But it clearly made an impact on him. So, I'm saying it's a win in my book.



~ three ~

And speaking of books... I'm reading a book about the life of Calvin. It was on the "new books" display in our school library for a while. So I grabbed it. I am finding myself more and more intrigued by Calvin's formative years. It's actually becoming quite fascinating. I'm sure I'll have more to share once I get further along in the book. But for now, I'd have say that I really am enjoying the book and learning more about this man's life.



~ four ~ 

Fall in the US is my most favorite time of year. It’s so beautiful outside. The leaves are changing colors. The weather is nice. Temps are dropping. I really enjoy it all. And I do totally miss it when I’m here in Senegal. So seeing this fun display in the office, hand-painted/decorated by one of our staff members, is a treat.



~ five ~

I have a new student coming on Monday. Then I have another student (who’s been with me the last few years) starting back at the end of the month. That’ll bring my total to...

* 8 students 
* 5 grades 
* 10 lessons a day to plan
(15 at the end of Oct.)
*1 truly AMAZING “assistant” teacher
* no prep period 
(Lunch will be my only “free” pd. starting Monday.)

It’s a lot. 

But I do so love what I do. 

I’m blessed to work with these incredible kids.

I don’t take this opportunity lightly.


No comments:

Post a Comment