Thursday, July 9, 2009

My Papa


Claude Nichols is a great man. He's a devoted husband, a loving father, and the best grandfather and greatgrandfather there ever was. He is a Korean War veteran. He is a cancer survivor. He is a child of God. He is a confidant, a mentor, a hero. He is my papa.

I remember...

- playing my little plastic guitar with him playing his guitar at church.

- him coming to our house on his lunch break giving me "pite" -- Well, I don't remember this one since I was only a few years old.

- him letting me and my brother catch minnows at the bait shop when we were little.

- him bringing us food when we were out of electricity for 2 weeks after a hurricane.

- him crying telling his church how proud he was of me for becoming a missionary.

I have so many memories of my Papa and I know there will be more memories to come. But I know that, at 79 years old, our time together is running low. I know this is a somewhat morbid blog, but I've been thinking a lot about this lately, especially since I'll soon be living across the "big pond" from him.

My prayer for today is... Dear Lord please heal my Papa. Help him to get healthier and stronger every day. Lord help my family and myself value each moment we are given with him. And Lord, in the event that something does happen while I'm thousands of miles away, please help me to be at peace since I wouldn't be able to come back. Help me to realize that in the case of that event, I should rejoice, not cry, because I know that my incredible Papa is in Heaven with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment