Sunday, October 9, 2016

Honoring a Hero


Superman, Batman, Captain America...

They're all considered superheroes.

But when I think of heroes, I don't immediately think of the fictional characters who have capes and bright uniforms, who fly through the sky and stuff like that.


I think of police officers and firemen and soldiers. 

Those are the real heroes to me.

And right now, in the small town of Centreville, Alabama, they're honoring one such hero. My uncle is being honored for 39 years of service as a police officer. 

*Source: Mike Hobson, The Bibb Voice - October 4, 2016*

Mike Hobson of the e-news site, The Bibb Voice, wrote an article about my uncle earlier this week, in which he described the service my uncle has led...

"Mike Nichols has been a law enforcement officer for a long time; thirty-nine years makes a career for any occupation. Not only that, Nichols holds the distinction of being the longest serving active police chief in the State of Alabama."

How cool is that? 

He's been a police officer since 1977.

He's been the Chief of Police of his city since 1982.


I realize that there are different opinions on police officers these days. 

Unfortunately, with any group of people, the bad actions of a few sometimes affect the whole group. 

But do you want to know something?



I know that the poor choices made by a just a few bad cops most definitely do not represent every single cop in the U.S.

I know there are far more good cops than bad cops.

And I know these good cops are AMAZING at what they do.

They serve and honor.

They protect.

They're respectful and kind.

They're generous and loving and caring.

And to many people, they are considered heroes.



Want to hear a story?

When I was a little girl... I don't even think I'd started school yet. Anyways - I remember visiting my grandparents and in walks my uncle in his police uniform. I remember sitting on the floor and looking up at him, in awe. 

Honestly, I remember thinking... 

Wow! It's a real live superhero.

And that thought stuck with me.

Over the years, I've always held the same thought.

I've heard stories of how this man, my dad's brother, has put his life on the line to protect the citizens of his town. I've heard stories of how he's helped person after person. I've heard stories about how he's enriched both the citizens and the city, itself. 

So while today is the day the city chose to honor him, it's just like every other day...

My feelings are still the same.

He is a hero.

And I am so proud to call him my Uncle.

No comments:

Post a Comment