Monday, March 25, 2019

Reading Recap

Happy Monday Everyone

 Today I thought I'd share a little reading recap.

Image result for reading quotes

I haven't read much lately because I've been so busy with school (as both a teacher and student). But I know I have some down time coming up, thanks to Spring Break and a bit of traveling, too. So my next Reading Recap post will definitely have a bit more in it. 

Anywho - On with the post.

For Fun

I started We Were the Lucky Ones by Georgia Hunter But I just couldn't get into it. I mean, it was okay. But that was it. It was just okay.


Image result for we were the lucky ones book cover

And I know that's not a lot, but that was the extent of my "fun" reading.

For My Classes (as a student)

I'm taking a class on Emotional and Behavioral Disorders right now and have 3 books that are required reading for it... They are Characteristics of Emotional and Behavioral Disorders of Children and Youth and Cases in Emotional and Behavioral Disorders of Children and Youth, both of which, were written by Kauffman and Landrum and also, Lost at School by Ross Greene.




For Teaching

Considering how how my textbooks listed above do apply to my job, I think it still counts for this section, too. Right? :)

But past that, I did pick up a copy of Teaching to Change Lives by Howard Hendricks from the giveaway table at work last week. And I finally started reading it the other night. I've only made it part of the way through the first chapter. But I really think I'm going to like it. It's got some good stuff in it.



For Spiritual Growth


I've been slowly working my way through Holy Hustle by Crystal Stine. I saw a friend share about on Facebook not long ago. And considering my tendency to work, work, work and spend very little time in rest, I thought this book would be perfect for me to add to my To Read pile. I'm taking my time with it and really enjoying it. I'm also, learning to let some things go that aren't 100% necessary. I'm learning that it's okay to sometimes say no. Shocking, right? :) Anyways, I really am finally learning to embrace the act of spiritual REST. And it's so worth it.



What My Students Are Reading

With a couple of my kids, I've been working on pronouns.

The book, I and You and Don't Forget Who, by Brian Cleary is a good one. It's colorful. The characters are fun. And it helps teach about pronouns in a fun, easy to learn (and remember) way. I recently used it with one of my students, who thought it was a fun book. And I thought the same.



One of my students is absolutely obsessed with the movie and book, Matilda, by Roald Dahl. So he and I read through it together last month, stopping to discuss all the fun parts along the way. I love seeing a kid so on fire for reading! And let's face it... The story of Matilda is definitely a fun one anyway!



Another of my students just started working through a novel study of Mr. Popper's Penguins by Richard and Florence Atwater. He's only a few chapters in, but he is loving this book. And I'm loving seeing him love reading so much. :)




 We're in the middle of a unit in Bible right now with my older students, where we're focusing on why the Bible exists and how it helps us today. Plus, my kids are learning the books of the Bible in order. And every time we open these Bibles, I think of the generous church in Georgia who paid for these bright orange Bibles.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
And in case you're interested...

Here are my previous Reading Recap from earlier in the year.

February

No comments:

Post a Comment