Friday, March 28, 2014

What If...


In one of my ESL classes, we spend a lot of our time in discussion. It's basically a conversational English class, helping students to get more comfortable with their spoken English skills. Earlier this week I was compiling some discussion questions for class and I came across a list of some interesting What if... questions. And that got me thinking... 

Why not do a "What If..." post on here? So without further ado...

What if you could have a conversation with any living (famous) person? Who would you choose and why?

Hmm... This was a tough one. 

I was thinking about this one almost all day. I know some people won't understand this, but... A small part of me would really like to meet President Obama. After all, he is the leader of my country. And while, I'm by no means his number one fan, I'd still love to have a conversation with him. I'd love to find out why he's chosen to do some of the things he's done and why he's made some of the decisions he's made. And you know... More than that, I'd love to tell him that I'm praying for him and his family and discuss the Bible and the love of Jesus with him. I think that too often Christians criticize and criticize the man and forget that we have to love him and pray for him. So, I'd love to have that chance in person.

What if you could have a conversation with any dead person? Who would you choose and why? 

Of course I'd want to have a face to face talk with Jesus. I mean, come on... It's JESUS...the greatest person EVER! But past Jesus... 

I think I'd pick my mom's mom, who died before I was born. My mom, aunt, and older cousins have told me so many stories about her and I've seen pictures of her. But to have the chance to actually meet her and talk to her and tell her about my life... Well, I think that'd be pretty sweet!

What if you were required to write a book? What would your book be about?

You know... I've actually thought about this. I have a couple different ideas.

1) I had an idea for writing chapter books (for kids) about students in an international school (kind of like the one I teach at now). So each book would be about a kid from a different country or different background. But they all center around activity at their international school. How cool would that be?! :)

2) I think an area of education that's majorly underrepresented/studied/understood is non-native English speaking students that have disabilities. It's a tricky area. As the teacher, you don't know if the difficulties they're having is from having to learn a new language OR from having a learning disability OR both. It's something I've been doing a lot of research on (and have almost finished a paper on). And if I were to ever get my doctorate, I'm thinking I'd find a way to do my dissertation/research on it. 

What if you knew in advance that you were going to be stranded on a desert island and were only allowed to bring 3 things (not counting the clothes on your back)? What would you bring?

1. my Bible
2. a swiss Army knife
3. a magic genie that grants unlimited wishes :)

What if happiness were the national currency? What job would pay you the most?

I'd pick a modified version of my job now. I'd still be a missionary. I'd still be teaching in some way. But I'd also be working at an orphanage somewhere in Africa. I really have a heart for the unloved, the unwanted. That's my dream job.

Now for my readers... 

What if you could add a question to this list? Leave me a comment with your question. What question would you add? Once I get enough, I'll write a new What If post...

No comments:

Post a Comment